We are accepting applications for the 2016 Graduate Student Fellowships and Scholarships beginning February 1, 2016. The deadline for applications is April 1, 2016.
How to Apply
- Open and read the Graduate Fellowship and Scholarship Program document. This document provides detailed program information, including eligibility requirements and award recipient obligations.
- If you are eligible to apply, complete the application form. Be sure to read the instructions for completing the form carefully.
- Complete the FAFSA 2016-2017 Student Aid Report and the Financial Need Analysis form.
- Request three letters of recommendation from faculty members, preferably those who teach graduate courses. Have the letters sent directly to Dr. Sharon Hileman, Dean of Graduate Studies, Sul Ross State University, Box C-6, Alpine, TX 79832. Letters from Sul Ross faculty members may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be sure that transcripts from all institutions you have attended are on file with the Center for Enrollment Services. If GRE or other test scores are required by your admitting department, those scores must also be on file with the Center for Enrollment Services.
- Write a statement of intent in which you explain what your degree and career objectives are and discuss the contributions to your field and/or society that you hope to make in the future. If you plan to obtain additional degrees, certifications, or advanced training, please indicate that as well. This should be a one-to-two page, double-spaced document.
- Create a résumé that includes your educational achievements, skills, honors, extracurricular activities, and group memberships. This should be a two-to-four page document.
Submit the application packet to Dr. Sharon Hileman, Graduate Dean, Sul Ross State University, Box C-6, Alpine, TX 79832. You may mail the packet or deliver it to BAB 104 (the Graduate Student Center).
Tips for Timely Submission of a Complete Application
If your application is late or incomplete, it will not be considered. To ensure that this does not happen to you, start early and consider the following tips:
- If you have not applied to a graduate program at Sul Ross, do so as soon as possible. Although you do not have to be fully admitted to a graduate program in order to apply for an award, you must be fully admitted at the time of the award if you are selected to receive one. Visit the Graduate Admissions Office website for application instructions.
- Complete and submit the FAFSA early. Complete the FAFSA for 2016-2017 as soon after January 1 as possible at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Ensure that you elect Sul Ross State University as a recipient of the FAFSA information.
- Don't wait until the last minute to request letters of recommendation. Faculty members are very busy and appreciate plenty of advance notice for recommendation requests. Be sure to provide them with information about the program so that they can provide an appropriate recommendation. Also provide them with the deadline date (April 1) and submission instructions (see #4 on "How to Apply" above).
- Ensure that transcripts from all institutions you have attended are on file in the Center for Enrollment Services. If Sul Ross is the only university you have attended, this step is not necessary.
- If you were required to take the GRE or the GMAT as a condition of admittance, ensure that your test scores are on file in the Center for Enrollment Services. If the GRE/GMAT is required and you have not taken it yet, list Sul Ross State University as a recipient of your scores.
- Be sure that your application packet contains all of the following items:
o Completed application form
o Financial Need Analysis form
o Statement of intent