Degree Plan for BA in Social Sciences--Political Science Option
The Bachelor's degree program in Social Sciences--Political Science Option is designed for students who are interested in careers in politics, public service, journalism, law, research, or education.
General Requirement for all Bachelor's Degrees The state of Texas requires that all students pursuing a bachelor's degree complete six semester credit hours of political science courses in federal and state government. This requirement may be fulfilled by:
- Successfully completing Political Science 2305 Federal Government and 2306 State Government
- Securing credit for Political Science 2305 Federal Government by presenting a satisfactory score on the CLEP test in American Government and successfully completing Political Science 2306 State Government.
Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences--Political Science Option The Bachelor of Arts in Political Science requires 120 semester credit hours of coursework, including:
- 36 hours of coursework related to political science:
- PS 2305 Federal Government and PS 2306 State Government;
- At least 24 semester credit hours of political science coursework, with at least 18 advanced semester credit hours;
- Psychology 2307 Introductory Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences;
- 3 semseter credit hours of Geography;
- History 2301 Western Civilization to 1453 and History 2302 Western Civilization since 1453;
- At least 12 semseter credit hours of advanced history coursework; and
- Economics 2300 Principles of Microeconomics and Economics 2305 Principles of Macroeconomics.
- Fulfillment of all general education requirements.