Information for New Residents
Things to Bring with You
You may want to coordinate with your roommate and dicuss which items they are bringing for the bathroom and living room areas. This will prevent duplicate items (e.g. vacuums, TVs, game systems, etc) taking up space.
When do we get our housing assignments?
Assignments will be emailed after Friday August 1st . The assignment will be sent to your Sul Ross email address. Please remember to keep your contact information current with Residential Living. Your housing assignment will include the following: building & room assignment, roommate name, email or phone number of your roommate, the fall move-in date, what to bring and what not to bring and the Residential Living contact information.
When is Move-In for Fall 2013?
Friday August 22 at 10am at the Pete P. Gallego Center (#19 on the campus map)
Any early move-in request must be cleared in advance with Residential Living and is reserved only for pre-approved students in athletics, student workers for the Post Office, etc. Housing or Athletics will send those individuals their move-in date.
When does school start for Fall 2013?
Monday August 25th. Please let us know if you are going to be checking in later than the first day of class. We do our "no-show" list that day and anyone not checked in by that date will lose their housing asignment.
How do I pay for housing?
Please see our Payment Information page for details.
Is there wireless internet in Lobo Village?
We will have wireless internet in all of the buildings for this fall 2014! We are also expanding our cable TV channel offerings. Wireless routers will not be needed so please leave those at home.
How do I request a roommate?
Please see our Application FAQ page for instructions on requesting a roommate using our online system.
How do I change a roommate request?
Please submit all request changes in writting by July 31st at 5pm. After this date any room or roommate change requests can be submitted after the 1st day of class.
Tips for Moving-In
Be safe! Remember that Alpine may be at a higher elevation (~4,500 feet) and the air may be thinner than you are used to experiencing. Take your time moving in and get acclimated. This humidity may also be lower for you and it will certainly be warm that day. Drink water and be sure to take frequent breaks. Some other tips are:
- Pack in small boxes. While large boxes let you pack a lot of personal belongings they frequently are too heavy to move safely and effectively.
- Leave extras behind (mementos, piano, antiques, etc.). Please remember that everything you move in for fall has to be moved back out in spring.
- Bring a dolly or hand truck. This makes move in faster and easier.
- Elevators can have a long wait-try the stairs to bring boxes up faster.
- The hotest part of a day is between noon and 2pm. Take that time to get lunch, cool off and unpack.
- There will be a long line at 9am Friday morning. Avoid the line and check in later. Typically lunchtime and later in the afternoon are usually not busy and check-in is a much fast process.
- Take your time! There is not a rush-your room will be there for you as long as you check-in by the first day of school.
If you have any further questions or concerns please contact our office at (432)-837-8190 or email@example.com.