Information for New Residents
Things to Bring with You
Please coordinate with your roommate and dicuss which items they are bringing for the bathroom and living room areas. This will prevent duplicate items (e.g. vacuums, TVs, game systems, etc) taking up space. We also have a linen service to help you purchase sheets, conforters, etc that fit our twin extra long beds. Please see the linen service web page for more information.
Critical information for new students
- All incoming freshman are required to attend Lobo Days starting Friday the 24th. A link to the web page with the schedule can be found here.
- Be sure to submit your proof of a meningitis vaccination before moving into housing. More information can be found here.
- All residents must check in by Monday August 24th at 5pm or will forfeit their spot on campus and become over assignments.
- The only animals allowed in housing are approved service animals, approved comfort animals and fish in 10 gallon tank.
- We will have mandatory meetings for all residents the first week of class. Necessary information will be presented at this meeting that you will held responsible for knowing. If you do not attend one of these meetings a $50 fine will be added to your account and you will still be responsible for all of this information. Please check your SRSU email for more information.
- If you’ve chosen not to attend Sul Ross please contact us immediately so we can withdraw you from housing and refund any money owed to you.
When do we get our housing assignments?
Assignments will be emailed to your SRSU email account the Friday August 7th by 5pm. The assignment will be sent to your Sul Ross email address. Please remember to keep your contact information current with Residential Living. Your housing assignment will include the following: building & room assignment, roommate name, email of your roommate, the fall move-in date and other relevant information.
What your assignment means
Your room number indicates which building and room number you are assigned. For instance, if your room assignment says “1-110” this means you are in Lobo Village 1, room 110. Fletcher is designated with an “F” and Lobo village 2 with “2”. You can always check your assignment status by logging into your housing account by going through the housing application link.
Over Assignment (aka "triples") Status
Over assignments have a “C” room designation. If your room number has a “C” designation (e.g. 1-110C) then you are in a triple assignment. Residents that are over assigned with be in the “B” bedroom with another person for a total of 3 people per unit. All 3 students will be financially compensated for this inconvenience. Please see our link here for the compensation plan. Students that are over assigned will have 24 hours to relocate once a new space becomes available. While we try to make every effort to accommodate our student’s wishes, students in over assigned status do not have a choice of building, room number and roommate when they are reassigned to a permanent assignment.
Move-In for Fall 2015.
Move-in Day is Friday August 21 at 10am at the Pete P. Gallego Center (#19 on the campus map).
- After Friday August 21st move-in will be from 8am-5pm Saturday August 22nd and Sunday August 23rd in the LVCR at the back of the main housing office (#17 on the campus map).
- You will need to be checked in by 5pm Monday August 24th or lose your spot on-campus.
- The University Dining Center will also be open that day for move in and parents can eat with their students. Students that have already be pre-approved for early move-in will be contacted by their coach, employer etc.
- You will need to get your student ID at UDPS that day between 8am-5pm Friday if you don’t have it already.
- Any early move-in request must be cleared in advance with Residential Living and is reserved only for pre-approved students in athletics, student workers for the Post Office, etc. Housing or Athletics will send those individuals their move-in date.
When does school start for Fall 2015?
Monday August 24th. Let us know if you are going to be checking in later than 5pm on the first day of class. We do our "no-show" list that day and anyone not checked in by that date will lose their housing asignment.
How do I pay for housing?
Please see our Payment Information page for details.
Is there wireless internet in Lobo Village?
Yes! Please see our cable and wireless internet FAQ page for more information. Wireless routers will not be needed or allowed so leave those at home.
How do I request a roommate?
Please see our Application FAQ page for instructions on requesting a roommate using our online system. There is no guarantee that you will get your request, especially if your application is completed late. After August 1st we will not be accepting any roommate requests until after the first day of school.
How do I change a roommate request?
Please see our Application FAQ page. All changes requests must be submitted before July 31st. While we may not be able to honor all requests we make every reasonable attempt to do so. After August 1st no roommate or room change requests will be accepted. Roommate change requests can be made after the 1st day of class until the 5th class day.
Tips for Moving-In
Be safe! Remember that Alpine may be at a higher elevation (~4,500 feet) and the air may be thinner than you are used to experiencing. Take your time moving in and get acclimated. This humidity may also be lower for you and it will certainly be warm that day. Drink water and be sure to take frequent breaks. Some other tips are:
- Pack in small boxes. While large boxes let you pack a lot of personal belongings they frequently are too heavy to move safely and effectively.
- Leave extras behind (mementos, piano, antiques, etc.). Please remember that everything you move in for fall has to be moved back out in spring.
- Bring a dolly or hand truck. This makes move in faster and easier.
- Elevators can have a long wait-try the stairs to bring boxes up faster.
- The hotest part of a day is between noon and 2pm. Take that time to get lunch, cool off and unpack.
- There will be a long line at 9am Friday morning. Avoid the line and check in later. Typically lunchtime and later in the afternoon are usually not busy and check-in is a much fast process.
- Take your time! There is not a rush-your room will be there for you as long as you check-in by the first day of school.
If you have any further questions or concerns please contact our office at (432)-837-8190 or email@example.com.