Residential Living FAQs

Whether you are a prospective or current student, we expect you to have many questions.

There are many more questions you may have. Speak to an RA or call us in the office. We are happy to answer any questions you may have. If the person you speak with does not know, he/she will find someone who does. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

How do I apply for housing?

Applying for housing is easy. Simply click here or visit us in the Lobo Village Community Building to complete an application. Applications are considered complete once the application is submitted, proof of meningitis vaccination is submitted, and payment of the $50 application fee is received. If you would like to pay in advance with a credit card please go to our Sul Ross State Marketplace.

When are housing assignments sent for the upcoming fall?

Housing assignments will be emailed August 1st to the student's preferred email address. If a student does not provide an email address then their assignment will be mailed to them. The following information will be sent:

  • Student's building and room assignment
  • Roommate's name and contact information (if applicable)
  • Move-in date and time
  • Information for new residents (e.g. what to bring/leave at home, etc)
  • Residential Living contact information

 What is the difference between a residence hall and a dorm?

The two are often used interchangeably but the term dorm actually means a place to sleep. A residence hall on the other hand refers to a community of students living and learning together with shared experiences through social programming, education, and friendship in a home-away-from-home atmosphere.

How do you assign roommates?

Based on the information you provide on the 'roommate matching form' you will be paired with someone with many of the same traits. Therefore, it is important that you, as the student, complete your own paperwork and be honest. The Director spends a great deal of time in the summer pairing roommates and making housing assignments. At Sul Ross, we continue to make these assignments by hand while many other universities have chosen to buy computer programs to do all the work. We are committed to connecting with each student on a personal level. Thus, when we meet you for the first time, you may be surprised at how much we already know about you. Please note, however, that once the preferred housing (LV1 and LV2) is fully assigned, overflow assignments are made on a space available basis.

What if I don't like my roommate?

Oftentimes, students feel making a switch is the only answer, but it is not. If you have problems with your roommate, try to work them out. You will learn a lot more about people in doing such and you may actually find that you and your roommate can become quite good friends. Your RA will assist you in strengthening your relationship. If it truly cannot work out, you must contact the professional staff in the office and request a roommate change.

Can I switch rooms during the year?

If you meet or know someone that you would like to live with during the year, contact the Residential Living Office or an RA. If there is an empty room available, there is a chance you can both move in together. Each of you may have to physically move, however. The office will not force one abandoned roommate to move in with the other so one of you can keep your room. That is unfair and will not be authorized.

Are single rooms available?

Single rooms in the residence halls are not available at this time. Consolidation of single rooms will occur during the first 2 weeks of each semester and during the year as needed. The only single rooms granted will be by pure chance if there is a lone person left after consolidation ends.

Can I live off-campus as a first-year student?

Sul Ross State has a 2-year residency requirement thus most first-year students live on-campus. There are few exceptions. Click here to learn more about the residency requirement.

What is an RA? How can I become one?

A resident assistant is a paraprofessional member of the Residential Living staff. He/She is a student leader that has been trained to help you in many different ways. Some of the RA duties include:

  • Advise and counsel fellow students
  • Refer students to appropriate departments/offices for assistance
  • Enforce University and community policies
  • Report conduct violations
  • Respond to emergencies
  • Plan and produce various educational and social programming/activities
  • Submit work requests to the Physical Plant on your behalf
  • Check students in and out of their rooms at the beginning and end of each semester
  • Conduct rounds of the buildings several times per night
  • Help you adjust to college life

If you are interested in becoming an RA, visit the office and ask for an application. You may also speak to your current RA about the job and any vacancies. RAs are compensated with a free room, discounts and a $200 monthly stipend.

Is there wireless access in the Lobo Villages?

Currently there is no wireless access in or around the residential complex. Wireless clouds currently exist only at the library and the University Center. Students are prohibited from using a wireless router in their rooms/apartments. Contact the Office of Information Technology for more information.

Do the rooms/apartments have cable?

Yes. Each room/apartment and floor lounge has cable. HBO/Cinemax are also provided in the channel package. Click here for the channel listing.

How do I get telephone service?

If you require telephone service in your residence hall room, contact the Office of Residential Living. If you require telephone service in your apartment contact AT&T/SBC at 1-800-464-7928.

Can I stay in the halls over Thanksgiving or Spring Breaks?

Students who are unable to go home during breaks must contact the Office of Residential Living for approval. There is a minimal fee of $100/week or $30 per day (whichever is cheapest) since the breaks are not included in term charges. Students may however leave their belongings in their rooms over the breaks.

 What size are the beds?

The beds in the residence halls, efficiency apartments, and children's room in the family apartments are X-Long twin beds (38.5" wide x 80" long). These beds are also 3 feet from the ground, allowing ample storage space. The master suite beds in the family apartments are queen size.

Can I bring a loft?

Currently we do not allow students to build or bring loft beds into the units.

Can I nail things to the wall?

Students are not permitted to nail objects or pictures to the wall. We encourage the use of painters tape, putty, or 3M brand adhesive. There will be a $5/hole fine assessed for each nail hole if found.

Can I paint my room?

Because of the potential problems that individual painting causes, students are not permitted to paint their rooms. Painting your room will be considered a damage and you will be charged accordingly.

What do I do if something breaks or if the room needs repairs?

Please submit maintenance requests to your RA as soon as the problem is detected. The RA will have a work order submitted on your behalf to the Physical Plant. Your work order will then be placed in the appropriate shop's queue. Please allow 2-3 days for your maintenance request to be completed.

If something in my room gets stolen, when can I expect reimbursement?

The Office of Residential Living and the University claim no responsiblity for personal items that are stolen, lost or damaged. This includes items lost due to natural disasters, fires, floods, and human destruction. We encourage all residents to purchase renter's insurance. The best defense against stolen property is to keep your room locked at all times, even if you are right across the hall.

Are candles allowed?

Candles are prohibited items under the Fire Safety Policy. All students sign a Fire Safety Agreement at check-in. Candles, incense, and oil lamps will be confiscated and students will be charged with a fire safety violation.

Is storage offered during the summer break?

Storage is not available on campus over the summer break. Students are also not allowed to store items in the room they will occupy in the fall due to summer camp and conference groups that occupy the halls. Items left in the room after a student leaves will be disposed of and a clean up charge will be put on the student's account. There are several storage businesses in town that offer affordable storage for Sul Ross students.

Are pets allowed?

There is a University policy against pets that extends to all University properties including the Lobo Village complex. Fish are not included in policy and are allowed in a 10 gallon tank. If students are found to have pets in their rooms, Animal Control will be contacted and the pet will be surrendered. The student will also pay a fine and any extermination or repair charges will be the student's responsibility as well.

Where can I have packages mailed?

All on-campus residents must have a PO box in the campus mail center. The mail center only accepts USPS packages. Students receiving FedEx, DHL, or UPS packages may have them sent to the Community Building. A sample address follows:

     Your Name
     c/o Residential Living
     Lobo Village Drive
     Alpine, TX 79832

Students will be notified if a package arrives at the office. Some packages may also be delivered to Central Receiving at the Physical Plant.

Is a meal plan really required?

All students living in the residence halls must have a meal plan. Please see the Director of Food Service in the dining area of the University Center if you wish to appeal the meal plan.

How do I report noisy neighbors?

If you are having problems with noise in your community, contact the individual(s) first. If this does not help, contact a resident assistant.

Who can I talk to if I'm feeling lonely or homesick?

Homesickness and loneliness are not uncommon for college students. Your RA has been trained to help you through these times. For more serious cases, the Counseling Center employs two licensed professional counselors.