Admission to the Teacher Education Program
Students who seek certification to teach in the public schools of Texas must make application for Admission to the Teacher Education Program at the beginning of their enrollment at Rio Grande College. Student must have completed 60 semester hours of academic work before being admitted to the Teacher Education Program. All standards for admission must be met at the time a student applies for admission to the program.
Standards for Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Must have an official degree plan on file with the Education Department.
- Must have an overall grade point average of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Must have completed minimum of 21 hours in the academic subject or content areas with a 2.5 grade point average or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Pass all parts of the TASP/THEA with the following scores before being fully admitted to the program: 250 for reading, 230 for math and 230 for writing. Beginning the Fall 2014, students can use the following criteria instead of taking the TASP/THEA: Completed College Algebra with a grade of "C" or better, complete Speech with a grade of "C" or better and complete ENGL 3312 with a grade of "B" or better.
- Complete at least 9 of 12 semester credit hours of required English with no grade lower than a “C” and a 2.5 grade point average or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Have no incomplete grades or grades lower than a C in the academic support and content areas.
Students must meet the above requirements before enrolling in the Professional development courses:
- For EC-6 certification the Professional Development courses are EDUC 3300; 3302; 3301; 3303; 3309; 3310
- For 4-8 certification the Professional development courses are EDUC 3300; 3302; 3301; 3303
- For 8-12 certification the Professional Development courses are EDUC 3300; 3302; 3305; 4312
To be certified to teach in the Texas public school, a student must:
- Complete all standards of the Teacher Preparation program.
- Must complete all course requirement
- Meet student teaching requirements
- Pass appropriate Professional Development and Subject comprehensive exam
- Apply for certification online
- Provide certification officer with appropriate completion documentation after you apply for certification