Alternative Post-Baccalaureate Initial Certification Program
Candidates holding a terminal degree in an area other than education may obtain teaching certification by meeting the following qualifications:
- Hold a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited 4 year university.
- Have 24 hours (18 of which are upper level) in major field of study.
- Passed the Texas Academic Skills Program or Texas Higher Education Assessment (TASP/THEA) with scores to meet the minimum requirements of the program: Reading: 250; Math: 230; Writing 230.
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- 2.5 grade point average in the courses specific to the teaching field.
- Completed 3 sch. computer science, 3 speech communication, and 12 sch. English with grades of "C" or better.
- Clear fingerprint check.
- Pass the TExES for teaching field prior to employment (Subject Comprehensive)
- Furnish RGC with a letter of "Intent to Hire" from public school district before enrolling in program.
- Be accepted for graduate admissions to Sul Ross-Rio Grande College.
- Enroll in coursework each semester to fulfill requirement for professional development.
- Complete professional development requirements in one year.
- Recognize the Probationary certificate is good for one year.
- Enroll in an Internship in Teaching (EDUC 4300) first semester and Internship in Teaching II (EDUC 4301) for second semester.
- Have a mentor in the public school and a university supervisor.