Post Baccalaureate Certification Requirements
Under regulations established by the Texas Education Agency (19 TAC 137.321), an individual having a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution is eligible for a deficiency plan in elementary or secondary certification. The candidate must have an overall grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 system at the baccalaureate level, and must have passed the state mandated basic skills test. A certification plan may be developed and should be completed expeditiously by the candidate in a period of three calendar years. Grades lower than a "C" will not be used to meet requirements.
The candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Three semester credit hours in Computer Science or demonstrate computer competency.
- Three semester credit hours of Communications or demonstrate English oral proficiency.
- Six semester credit hours in Reading for Elementary certification, or three semester credit hours in Reading for Secondary certification.
- 18-24 semester credit hours in an Elementary specialization with 12 semester credit hours upper division for elementary certification, or 24 semester credit hours in a Secondary teaching field with 12 semester credit hours upper division for Secondary certification with a 2.5 GPA in the certification area.
- Twelve semester credit hours of Professional Education coursework designed for Elementary or Secondary certification with a 2.5 GPA in the professional education area.
- Six semester credit hours of studnt teaching.
- Pass the appropriate TExES exams.
- Be admitted to graduate studies and to teacher education.
Post-baccalaureate students who have not fully met all the requirements for admission to teacher education may register in and complete a maximum of 6 semester credit hours of professional education coursework before being fully admitted to teacher education if the student has been admitted either fully or probationally to graduate studies or with permission from the chair of the department.
The Application for Admission to Teacher Education may be obtained in the college offices.