Why Placement Testing?
Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA)
Unless determined exempt by previous test scores, all students in the state of Texas are required to complete placement tests in the areas of reading, writing, and math before enrolling in classes. Beginning Fall 2013, all placement tests will be replaced by the Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA). Scores must be received at SRSU before the first day of the semester. Contact the Registrar at 432-837-8713 to verify that your scores have been received.
Mandatory Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA)
Below, you will find the following information:
- An explanation of the importance of the TSI Assessment (TSIA)
- Tests considered for exemption status
- Practice test questions
- Developmental education options if you don't meet the minimum passing standard
- Institutional and community resources that can help you succeed as a college student
- Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) Completion Link (required before TSIA testing can occur)
1. An explanation of the importance of the TSIA:
Placement exams should be taken seriously. The test determines the student's preparedness for college-level courses in related subject areas. If the student scores below the requirements, he/she will be placed in appropriate developmental courses in order to prepare him/her for college-level work. These results dictate the required coursework to be added to your degree plan, thus affecting the length of time to degree completion. We recommend that all students take appropriate steps to be prepared for test day, such as getting adequate sleep the night before and eating a good breakfast so that hunger does not become a distraction.
2. Tests considered for exemption status:
- ACT: Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on both English and math sections
- SAT: Combined verbal and math score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on both the verbal and math test
- TAKS: Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing)
- Transfer coursework: Successfully completed college-level coursework as determined by SRSU
- Military service: Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment.
3. Practice test questions and feedback:
- Texas Success Initiative Sample Questions © 2013
- Accuplacer-practice questions, information, and apps
- Compass-practice questions and information
4. Developmental education options if you don't meet the minimum passing standard:
- Re-Test: Students may choose to re-test and submit new scores.
- Plato-Accucess: Through Plato-Accucess, students can be registered into an online program that allows them to practice and complete either the reading or math coursework before attending SRSU. To sign up for Plato-Accucess, contact the Lobo Den at (432) 837-8982.
- Non Course-Based Instruction (NCBI): This two-day review, ending with the common course final, allows you to re-test in one subject area for free. NCBIs are offered a few days before the beginning of each long semester. Contact the Lobo Den (432) 837-8982 for more details and to sign up.
- Paired Courses: SRSU offers paired courses that allow a student to take his/her required developmental course and a college-level version at the same time. The developmental course works as a supplement for the college level course, allowing the student to potentially complete both in one semester. Paired courses may or may not be required dependent upon the student's test scores.
Developmental Coursework offered at Sul Ross:
- ED 0300 Reading Skills
- ENG 0300 Writing Skills
- ENG 0310 Integrated Reading and Writing Skills
- MATH 0300 Introductory Algebra
- MATH 0301 Intermediate Algebra
5. Institutional & Community Resources that can help you succeed as a college student:
- Academic Center for Excellence - Free Tutoring
- Financial Aid (in Center for Enrollment Services)
- Lobo Den Freshmen Center – Advising
- Records and Registration (in Center for Enrollment Services)
- Student Support Services (Grant program for eligible students)
7. Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) Completion Link:
- Students are required to read the above information.
- It is imperative that the student do this (not the parent).
- This submission is required before you will be allowed to take the TSIA.
- Click here to notify SRSU that you've read the above information (PAA).