Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA)
As mandated by the Texas Legislature, students enrolling in a Texas institution of higher education after the first day of classes in the fall of 2013 must submit scores proving college readiness or take the Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA). Students may be exempt if they can show:
- ACT: Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on both English and math sections
- SAT: Combined verbal and math score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on both the verbal and math test
- TAKS: Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing)
- Transfer coursework: Successfully completed college-level coursework as determined by SRSU
- Military service: Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment.
Please refer to: http://www.sulross.edu/page/2559/why-placement-testing for more information or to take the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA). Students not meeting minimum TSIA requirements will be required to meet with a TSI advisor and establish an Individual Developmental Education Plan (IDEP).
Taking the TSIA
The TSIA is computer administered, and test scores are available immediately following test completion. Testing is scheduled by appointment or administered shortly before orientation dates. Please call the SRSU Testing Center (837-8357 or 837-8178) to schedule a test administration.
There is a $45 test fee for initial administration for all sections, (Reading, Writing or Math) or $15 per individual assessment. The same fees apply to re-take any test. You may re-test as often as you like.
Prior to taking the TSIA, a Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) must be completed and submitted.
The results of the TSIA will be used to provide evidence of college readiness or identify deficiencies in reading, writing, and/or mathematics. Students not meeting minimum TSIA requirements will be required to meet with a TSI advisor and establish an Individual Developmental Education Plan (IDEP).
Call (432) 837-8357 or (432) 837-8178 for more information or to register for TSIA.
Can register through Constant Contact for TSIA testing
If you live outside the Tri-County area and plan to attend Sul Ross State University, then Testing Services can help you arrange to take the TSIA at a local college or university near you to save travel time and costs. Please follow these steps:
- Call Sul Ross Testing Center, (432) 837-8357 or (432) 837-8178 to register for testing at a Testing Center near you. Upon registration you will recieve a voucher number to present at the remote Testing Center near you.
- The remote testing fee is $15 per subject, ($45 for Reading, Writing & Math), plus any proctoring fees charged by the testing institution administering your test.
- Complete and submit the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) form, allowing Sul Ross permission to view your report scores.
- Once you have tested at the remote site, a confirmation email with your score report, will be sent to Sul Ross Testing Center. You will recieve a hard copy report upon completion of the test, for your records.
- You are responsible for bringing your TSIA report scores to Sul Ross University registration for advisement.