Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA)
As mandated by the Texas Legislature, students enrolling in a Texas institution of higher education after the first day of classes in the fall of 2013 must submit scores proving college readiness or take the Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA). Students may be exempt if they can show:
- ACT: Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on both English and math sections
- SAT: Combined verbal and math score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on both the verbal and math test
- TAKS: Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing)
- Transfer coursework: Successfully completed college-level coursework as determined by SRSU
- Military service: Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment.
Please refer to: http://www.sulross.edu/page/2559/why-placement-testing for more information or to take the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA). Students not meeting minimum TSIA requirements will be required to meet with a TSI advisor and establish an Individual Developmental Education Plan (IDEP).
Taking the TSIA
The TSIA is computer administered, and test scores are available immediately following test completion. It is administered the first and third Mondays of each month, beginning at 9:00 am and can take up to 4 hours to complete, depending on one's ability and answers. It is also administered shortly before orientation dates. Please call the SRSU Testing Center (837-8357 or 837-8178) to schedule a test administration.
The fee is $45 for initial administration for all or partial sections. There is a $15 fee to retest per section (Reading, Writing or Math) and $45 to retest for all sections.
Prior to taking the TSIA, a Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) must be completed and submitted.
The results of the TSIA will be used to provide evidence of college readiness or identify deficiencies in reading, writing, and/or mathematics. Students not meeting minimum TSIA requirements will be required to meet with a TSI advisor and establish an Individual Developmental Education Plan (IDEP).
Call (432) 837-8357 or (432) 837-8178 for more information or to register for TSIA.
If you live outside the Tri-County area and plan to attend Sul Ross State University, then Testing Services can help you arrange to take the TSIA at a local college or university near you to save travel time and costs. Please follow these steps:
- Contact the testing center of your local area college/university to ask if they will proctor your TSIA test for you. The test site must have internet access and be willing to proctor the TSIA for admission into Sul Ross.
- The testing center must complete the SRSU Proctor Agreement and fax it to Sul Ross Testing Services at 432-837-8724, or email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay for your TSIA: The remote testing fee is $15, plus any proctoring fees charges by the testing institution administering the test. Use the attached credit card payment form (link) and fax your payment authorization to SRSU Testing Services: 432-837-8724.
- Complete and submit the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA).
- Once SRSU Testing Services has received confirmation that you have completed steps 2 – 4, we will arrange for your test to be administered by your local proctor on a specified date. You will be responsible for paying any local proctoring fees charged by the local test center for their services.
- Take the TSIA Test which may include reading, writing skills, an essay, and math portions.
- Keep the print-out you receive upon completing the TSIA. You will need to bring it to Sul Ross for registration and advisement.