International Student FAQ

1. How many International students do you have and where they are from?

We currently have about 15 to 25 international students. This does not include students from Mexcio, which is closer to Alpine than the majority of Texas cities. Sul Ross University is actively seeking more International students in residence.

2. Do I have to provide evidence of English language proficiency?

TOEFL/IELTS exemption will be granted if:

  • You have completed one academic year of study at a university or college in a countrywhere English is the official language (this does not include intensive English languageprograms), OR

  • If you are at an institution in the United States and have completed a 100-level EnglishComposition course and at least 12 credit hours of 100-level courses, OR

  • If you are from one of the following countries: Click here to review the list.

3. Is there financial assistance available for International students?

International students are not eligible to receive federal or state grants through the Office of Financial Aid. 

International students can apply for scholarships through the University and/or their department. Apply for university scholarships at
Receiving a competitive scholarship from the university in the amount of $1,000 or more entitles you to the same tuition and fees as a Texas resident. Residents pay approximately $4,000 less a semester than international students.  

Award of scholarships is not guaranteed. Applicants should plan on having adequate funds available for their entire time in school.

Graduate international students may apply for teaching and research assistantships through the individual graduate programs. You will need to visit with a graduate adviser for additional information.

Citizens of Mexico may be eligible for financial aid through a program called PROGRAMA DE ASISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL (PASE) Mexican citizens are eligible for the Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil (PASE) under which they qualify for in-state tuition and fees. Only Mexican citizens are eligible for PASE. US citizens holding dual US/Mexican status are not eligible for PASE. For more information on PASE or for a PASE application form, contact the Director of Financial Aid at

4. Can International students find jobs in Alpine?

As an International student, F-1 visa only allows you to work at your school or school related institutions except for authorized internships.

You must complete a full academic year before you are eligible for an off-campus internship.

5. What are the job opportunites on campus?

On campus jobs or not guarenteed but there are numerous institutional student worker positions and teaching/graduate assistant positions available.

F-1 Visa only allows up to 20 working hours per week. And your supervisor will work with your class schedule.

6. How can I get to Alpine?

The closest airline service is Midland International Airport (143 miles). The next airport is located in El Paso, Texas (200 miles).
Alpine is served by AMTRAK railway service with arrivals and departures on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday of each week.
Bus service is also available from Odessa-Midland and El Paso.

7. How would I get around in Alpine?

There is no public transportation Alpine, but most businesses and eating establishments are within a reasonable walking distance from the campus.

8. Do you offer orientations for International students?

Yes. We do offer 2-week orientation for international students before each term starts.

9. How early can I arrive?

Your visa allows you to come to the United States 30 days prior to the beginning date of your enrolled term.


For other questions, contact Office of International Studies.