Student Address Changes

Students who change their permanent, home or local address or change their phone number must contact the Center for Enrollment Services or make the change through LoboOnLine (Banner Self Service). Students are held responsible for any communication from any university official sent to them at the last address given to the Center for Enrollment Services. Most official communications are sent to the local address and/or Sul Ross e-mail address on file in the Center for Enrollment Services.

How to Submit a Change of Address in LoboOnLine

  1. Go to the LoboOnLine page and select Log In - Registration (use your Student ID and the PIN), just like you would do to register. (If you don't have your PIN - please read section below.)
  2. On the main menu page, select Personal Information, click on Update Addresses. Then you can select to edit an existing address or add a new one.
  3. Make the necessary corrections and click Submit.
  4. These changes are instantaneous in our Student Information System.

How to Get Your PIN

The Center for Enrollment Services provides PINs in an official welcome letter sent to students immediately after admission to Sul Ross.  If you did not receive this letter, or perhaps misplaced your PIN, see the Office of Information Technoloy (OIT) Online Accounts page for instructions on retreiving your PIN.   

Change of Address Using the Change of Information Form

You may also change your address using the Change of Information Form.  Stop by the Center to complete the form in person, or print, complete and mail the form below to: Sul Ross State University Center for Enrollment Services SRSU Box C-2 Alpine, TX 79832.