Statement on Equal Educational Opportunity

No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored by Sul Ross State University, on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including but not limited to, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

Student Responsibility Statement

Sul Ross State University offers graduate programs which enable the student to enrich his or her study in a specialized field. A primary tenet of the graduate program is to build greater breadth and depth of knowledge in the student’s chosen field of study. Graduate students receive direct instruction, counseling, and research opportunities from world-class educators and researchers. Each graduate student is assigned a faculty committee to mentor their academic progress.

All graduate students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the academic regulations stated in this Catalog; unfamiliarity does not constitute a valid reason for failure to fulfill them.

The University expects all students to engage in all academic pursuits in a manner beyond reproach and to maintain complete honesty and integrity in academic experiences both in and out of the classroom. The University may initiate disciplinary proceedings against a student accused of any form of academic dishonesty, including but not limited to, cheating on an examination or other academic work, plagiarism, collusion, and the abuse of resource materials.

Academic Dishonesty includes:

  1. Copying from another student’s test paper, laboratory report, other report, or computer files, data listings, and/or programs, or allowing another student to copy from same.
  2. Using, during a test, materials not authorized by the person giving the test.
  3. Collaborating, without authorization, with another person during an examination or in preparing academic work.
  4. Knowingly, and without authorization, using, buying, selling, stealing, transporting, soliciting, copying, or possessing, in whole or in part, the contents of a non-administered test.
  5. Substituting for another student; permitting any other person, or otherwise assisting any other person to substitute for oneself or for another student in the taking of an examination or test or the preparation of academic work to be submitted for academic credit.
  6. Bribing another person to obtain a non-administered test or information about a nonadministered test.
  7. Purchasing or otherwise acquiring and submitting as one’s own work any research paper or other writing assignment prepared by an individual or firm. This section does not apply to the typing of a rough and/or final version of an assignment by a professional typist.
  8. “Plagiarism” means the appropriation and the unacknowledged incorporation of another’s work or idea in one’s own written work offered for credit.
  9.  “Collusion” means the unauthorized collaboration with another person in preparing written work offered for credit.
  10. “Abuse of research materials” means the mutilation, destruction, concealment, theft, or alteration of materials provided to assist students in the mastery of course materials.
  11. “Academic work” means the preparation of an essay, dissertation, thesis, report, problem, assignment, or other project that the student submits as a course requirement or for a grade.
  12. “Falsification of Data” means the representation, claim, or use of research, data, statistics, records, files, results, or information that is falsified, fabricated, fraudulently altered, or otherwise misappropriated or misrepresented.

All academic dishonesty cases may be first considered and reviewed by the faculty member. If the faculty member believes that an academic penalty is necessary, he/she may assign a penalty, but must notify the student of his/her right to appeal to the department chair, the College Dean, and eventually to the Graduate Dean before the imposition of the penalty. At each step in the process, the student shall be entitled to written notice of the offense and/or the administrative decision, an opportunity to respond, and an impartial disposition as to the merits of his/her case. The decision of the Graduate Dean shall be final.

In the case of flagrant or repeated violations, the Graduate Dean may refer the matter to the Dean of Students for further disciplinary action. No disciplinary action shall become effective against the student until the student has received procedural due process except as provided under Interim Disciplinary Action.

Graduate students who have changed programs and wish to have grades from their initial program removed from the calculation of their current program’s grade point average can apply for forgiveness of those grades.

Once students have completed 12 semester credit hours in the new program with a 3.0 grade point average, they can petition for forgiveness of all grades in the initial program. Those grades remain on the student’s transcript, but they will not be used in the calculation of the student’s GPA, nor can they be used to satisfy any degree requirement in the new program. To petition for forgiveness of all grades from a former program, the student must obtain written approval from (1) the Advisor, (2) the Chair, (3) the Dean of the appropriate College, and (4) the Dean of Graduate Studies.

If the courses in the initial program were taken ten years prior to the current program, they are out-of-date and will not be used in calculating the GPA, so no petition is necessary.


Scholastic regulations embody the academic standards of a University. The application of the following regulations is directed toward upholding the standards of SRSU – specifically, to impose the requirement of satisfactory academic progress.

The academic regulations set forth the conditions for Academic Good Standing, Academic Probation, and Academic Suspension. These regulations are intended to be consistent with the following objectives:

  1. To indicate to the student, at an early date and with regularity, that achievement below the standards required for graduation is regarded as unsatisfactory;
  2. To give the student who performs poorly a warning which may prompt him or her to seek timely help from instructors, counselors, or other appropriate sources;
  3. To provide the student whose record shows that ultimate success in the University is in doubt with a trial period to prove that he/she is able to make reasonable academic progress;
  4. To state the standards and the consequent results of inadequate scholastic performance clearly enough that students, parents, faculty, and administrators can know the academic action (if any) which would follow from a particular academic record.

Students’ academic records are reviewed each semester.

Academic Good Standing

A grade point average of 3.0 (B) must be maintained for all graduate coursework attempted. In addition, a 3.0 (B) grade point average must be maintained in the major and minor fields considered separately (if there is a minor). A grade of less than “C” will not be recognized for graduate credit. Some Programs may have more stringent requirements. Students should contact their Chair for additional information.

Academic/Scholastic Probation and Suspension

A fully admitted graduate student whose grade point average falls below 3.0 will be placed on probation. Failure to remove any grade point deficiencies by the end of the next term will result in suspension from graduate study.

A probationally admitted graduate student is placed on academic probation in the first term of enrollment. Good standing is achieved only after the student earns 12 semester credit hours with a GPA of 3.0 or better. If the grade point average falls below 3.0 at any time during this probationary period, the student is suspended from further graduate study.

Appeals for Academic Suspension – Reinstatement

Suspension for grade point deficiency can be appealed by a fully admitted or probationally admitted student, who petitions for reinstatement. Reinstatement, if granted, results in the student’s being placed on probationary status and carries the conditions that grade point deficiencies must be removed and all grades earned in subsequent graduate courses be at least a “B.” To be reinstated, the student must obtain written approval from (1) the Department Chair, (2) the Dean of the appropriate College, and (3) the Dean of Graduate Studies.

The academic year of the University consists of two long semesters (fall and spring) and a summer session. Each fall and spring semester consists of fifteen weeks of classes and one week of final examinations. Within each fall and spring semester are courses taught in the first eight weeks only and the second eight weeks only. The summer session is a compressed semester of approximately 10 – 11 weeks (depending on the Julian calendar) divided into two short sessions, each five to six weeks in length.

Admission to Graduate Studies is required of all post-baccalaureate students when enrolling in graduate-level courses at Sul Ross State University. Applications for admission are available through Each applicant will be notified in writing of acceptance or rejection for admission. Students may seek admission to Graduate Studies by applying for admission to a master’s degree program or by applying for admission as a non-degree student.

Admission – Master’s Degree

A student seeking admission for the purpose of pursuing a master’s degree must hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution approved by a nationally recognized accrediting agency. Official transcripts reflecting all college work attempted and degree(s) conferred should be on file in the Center for Enrollment Services or the Office of Admissions and Records at least ten days prior to initial registration as a graduate student. Also, the student must demonstrate by prior academic records or scores on the verbal and quantitative portions of aptitude test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), or for students in Business Administration, the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), a competence to pursue advanced study and research. The Graduate Record Examination or the Graduate Management Admissions Test should be taken early to ensure scores are on file in the Center for Enrollment Services at the time of initial registration. If required, the test must be taken prior to the end of the second, long semester (fall or spring) after initial enrollment and arrangements made for the scores to be sent to the Center for Enrollment Services. Otherwise, the student may be denied further registration in the graduate program.

Information concerning registration and testing dates for the GRE and GMAT may be obtained from the Coordinator of Career Services and Testing, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas 79832.

Full and Probationary Admission – General

There are two levels of admission to a master’s program, full and probationary. Approval of the major department is required for admission at either level. The following criteria will be used in determining the eligibility for admission to the appropriate level but is not a guarantee of admission. Some Programs of Study have limited capacity and all eligible students may not be accepted.

Applicants must submit all required documents required by their Program of Study. Documentation varies by Program. Reference should be made to the various departmental graduate programs in the Catalog for more information.

Following the departmental review, the University will communicate to the applicant the admission status to be granted.

Full Admission- requirements*

  1. Have a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale on the last 60 hours prior to the issuance of the bachelor’s degree and GRE score of at least 850 (verbal and quantitative) or minimum GMAT score of 400, OR
  2. Graduate with a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3.0 overall GPA OR
  3. Hold a master’s degree from an accredited college or university and has the approval from the department in which the applicant proposes do work.

*Full admission status does not imply an absence of additional departmental requirements (leveling work not to exceed 12 semester credit hours, higher GRE scores, etc.). Reference should be made to the various departmental graduate programs in the Catalog for more information.

Probationary Admission – requirements*

  1. Probationary status may be granted with the approval of the major academic department with the submission of all transcripts; GRE or GMAT scores; and satisfies at least one of the requirements listed above for full admission OR
  2. Probationary status may be granted to any student who has not taken the GRE prior to the start of the semester; the GRE must be taken before the end of the semester.

*The academic standing of entering probationary students is “probation.” After successful completion of 12 semester credits hours with a GPA of 3.0 or better, the academic standing is updated to “good standing.” Please see the Quality of Graduate Work section of this Catalog for more information. The responsibility for monitoring the probationary student’s compliance with all conditions of admission (leveling work not to exceed 12 semester credit hours, minimum grades in specific courses, tests, etc.) rests within the department and college. During the entire probationary period, the student is responsible for maintaining close communications with the major department and, as called upon, with the dean/director of the college.

Admission as a non-degree student (citizens of the United States)

Students who are not pursuing a degree, but who are interested in graduate work for professional or personal reasons may be admitted as non-degree student provided they present the following:

  1. Application for admission.
  2. An official transcript with a baccalaureate degree posted from an accredited institution.
  3. Approval of the department chair in the department where course work will be undertaken.

Students who decide to apply for a change of status to pursue master’s degree work must meet the established requirements for admission to a degree program. The change of status must be approved by the chair of the major department and the dean/director of the College or division. Students should be aware that, in transferring from non-degree to degree seeking status, no more than 12 semester hours earned prior to admission to degree seeking status can be used to meet the degree requirements of the program.

The Graduate Record Examination is not required of non-degree students if they have maintained a 3.0 in the first 12 semester hours when they decide to apply for a change of status to that of a master’s degree student.

Admission – International

International students must meet the standard requirements for admission. In addition, they must file the following items in the Center for Enrollment Services:

  1. Evidence of Financial Responsibility. This may be satisfied by an Affidavit of Support (Immigration Service Form 1-134) or a signed statement from a U.S. citizen or foreign national committing the necessary resources in U.S. dollars for student’s expenses.
  2. Evidence of English language proficiency as demonstrated by any one of the following:
    a) A TOEFL score of 520; or
    b) Twenty-four hours of undergraduate work with a 2.0 average at an accredited U.S. college or university, or 12 graduate hours with a 3.0 average at an accredited U.S. college or university; or
    c) A bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university; or
    d) Prospective students may petition the Director of Records and Registration in writing requesting an individual oral assessment of English proficiency. Applicants granted an interview will be notified of the date, time, and location of the interview. The interview panel must deem the applicant’s oral English proficiency adequate to successfully complete the program. The interview panel will file the results of the assessment in the Center for Enrollment Services. The student will be notified of the decision in writing.

In addition to the above requirements, students must submit the following:

  1. An application fee of $50.00 in U.S. Currency (non-refundable).
  2. A housing deposit of $200.00 in U.S. Currency (Alpine campus).
  3. Proof of Health Insurance and Immunization.

All requirements for admission must be met at least one month prior to the anticipated date of registration.

Admission – Transfer

Credits earned from other institutions are not automatically transferred to Sul Ross State University.

A request for transfer of earned credits must be made to the major advisor before the end of the first term of enrollment. No requests for transfer of credits will be accepted after the end of the first term without written approval of the major advisor and the Dean of the College prior to enrollment at another institution. Graduate students will not be permitted to apply toward the master’s degree more than twelve semester credits of transfer work, military service credits, non-collegiate educational experiences, undergraduate courses taken for graduate credit, graduate-level independent study courses, or any combination of these. Such courses must be pertinent to the candidate’s program of study.

A student may request transfer of a maximum of twelve semester credit hours in a 36-hour nonthesis program, nine semester credit hours in a 30-hour program, or six semester hours in a 30- hour thesis program from an accredited college or university provided the course work has been approved by the student’s major advisor and the Dean of the College. Before courses will be approved for transfer, they must meet the following standards:

  1. The grade for each course must be at least a “B.”
  2. The course must be unmistakably designated as graduate credit on the official transcript.
  3. The time limit of six years must not have expired at the projected time of graduation
  4. The total number of hours taken at Sul Ross State University and any other institution may not exceed 15 semester credit hours in any one semester in the long term or seven semester credit hours in either summer term, and
  5. No more than twelve semester credit hours in any combination of transfer work, undergraduate courses taken for graduate credit, and graduate-level independent study courses from regionally accredited institutions may be credited toward the master’s degree in a 36-hour program and no more than nine can be used in a 30-hour non-thesis program.

Exceptions to these provisions may be granted by the dean of the academic college in which the degree program is housed upon request of the academic advisor and department chair.

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

Students may be required to complete the GRE before admission to graduate study at Sul Ross State University. The GRE may be taken at any of the testing centers in the United States or abroad. The student may contact the Coordinator of Career Services and Testing for an information bulletin and application for the examination. Regardless of where the test is taken, the student should be certain to indicate that scores are to be sent to the Center for Enrollment Services, Box C-2, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas 79832.

If a student’s performance on the examinations is unsatisfactory, the advisor may require remedial or leveling work, the advanced test of the Graduate Record Examinations in the major field, a comprehensive written examination, or such other steps as the advisor recommends. The advisor’s recommendations are subject to approval by the Dean of the College. Students should check with their program advisors to determine what tests may be required.


Former Sul Ross State University students not enrolled during the previous long semester must apply for readmission. If intervening college work has been taken, official transcripts from each university attended must be submitted.

When an extraordinary circumstance compels a student to request an exception to University Policy or Regulations, the student must petition the Office of Academic Affairs for exception.

  1. Request for exceptions must be made within one semester following the end of the semester being appealed.
  2. Students may not petition for exceptions after graduating.
  3. All procedures are confidential, respecting the privacy of the student.
  4. Decisions are final.

Grievances Regarding Course Grades or Professional Conduct of Faculty

Note: Student grievances based upon discrimination or exclusion from course activities because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or disability are under the provisions of STUDENT GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES (Student Handbook, the Faculty Handbook, and the Administrative Policy and Procedures Manual).

If a student disputes a course grade which has been reported to the registrar or if a student believes the conduct of an instructor in the instruction and/or administration of a course to be unprofessional, the student should discuss the concern with the instructor of the course. If the student is not satisfied with results of that discussion, the student should make an appointment to discuss the concern with the Chair of the Department. If the concern is not resolved at the department level, the student should meet with the Dean of the College.

If the student is unable to resolve the concern satisfactorily through the discussions, the student may file a formal grievance with the Dean of the College. The student grievance must be filed on the Student Grievance of Grade or Student Grievance of Professional Conduct forms. Any grievance regarding a grade or professional conduct must be filed within one year of receiving the grade or of the questioned professional conduct.

Upon receiving the appropriate form, the Dean of the College will transmit the grievance to the faculty member for response. The response from the faculty member will be transmitted to the department chair for review, comment and recommendation and then to the academic dean who either resolves in favor of the aggrieved student or determines that the faculty member’s action complied with university policy. The student may appeal the Dean of Graduate Studies. The student may appeal to the Provost if the student considers the determination of the Graduate Dean to be unsatisfactory.

The student may appeal to the President if the student considers the determination of the Provost to be unsatisfactory.

To meet the requirements of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accreditation and to provide for continuing academic program development and evaluation, the university must assess academic programs on the basis of student learning outcomes. To assess such outcomes, students may be required to take additional examinations, participate in surveys, and/or provide samples of their work throughout their academic career.


All students are expected to regularly and punctually attend classes in which they are enrolled. Failure to do so may jeopardize a student’s scholastic standing and/or financial aid.

Students are responsible for the effect absences have on all forms of evaluating course performance. The student is responsible for arranging the allowed make-up of any missed work.


Faculty are required to state, in writing, their expectations regarding class attendance in the syllabus.

Faculty are expected to work with students to allow for completion of classwork and assignments if the student’s absence results from his/her required participation in a University-sponsored activity provided that, prior to the absence, the student makes arrangement to complete all missed work.

Students are usually allowed to make up work and/or tests missed because of serious illness, accident, or death in the immediate family. Faculty are required to make accommodations when specified by an ADA Letter, whether the disability is permanent or temporary.

To earn a Master’s degree from Sul Ross State University, a student must complete all requirements for the degree as stated in a particular University Catalog. The student has the choice of (1) graduating under the current catalog, (2) graduating under the catalog in force at the time of first registering as a graduate student at Sul Ross State University, or (3) graduating under the catalog in force for any subsequent year of registration at Sul Ross State University.

Each of these possibilities is subject to the condition that a program leading to the master’s degree must be completed within six years from the date of the student’s initial enrollment for graduate courses. No graduate credit will be given for courses over six years old.

Although courses over six years old at the time of graduation may not be counted toward the master’s degree, certain of these courses may be used to fulfill requirements for teaching certificates and endorsements with the approval of the Director of Teacher Education.

Exceptions to these provisions may be granted by the Dean of the academic college in which the degree program is housed upon request of the academic advisor and department Chair.

Changing Catalog Year

Students will not be allowed to change their Catalog Year for the current term. The current term begins on the first day of classes. Students may change their Catalog Year at any time; however, after the term has begun (the first day of classes), the change of Catalog Year will be made effective for the next available term. All Catalog Year changes must be declared at least one semester prior to the expected graduation term.

Primary communication at SRSU is through assigned email. Every student is given a SRSU email account. All SRSU email can be auto-forwarded to a personal email account. Important information is regularly sent to students via their SRSU email. All students are expected to become familiar with University policies, deadline dates, and information posted in various publications, on our website, and through informational emails sent to student accounts.

Students should refer to this Catalog, LoboOnline, and the SRSU Homepage for important information regarding registration, graduation application dates, policies/procedures, online payment options, news, and updates from the University community.

Students are responsible for accurately maintaining their demographic contact information via the University’s web portal – Lobo Online. The University considers each student’s school/SRSU email address as the official, formal contact point. All official university correspondence will be sent to this address. Students should further maintain their physical addresses as there are periodic occasions when students will be contacted via United States Postal Service. The University will consider all correspondence mailed to a student at their email or physical address currently on file to have been received unless it is returned to the sender.

Sul Ross State University requires students to be enrolled in consecutive terms (Fall and Spring semesters, not Summer) until the completion of the Program of Study and the awarding of the credential. Students not enrolled in a consecutive term must apply for readmission and should not expect to use the facilities or access services offered by SRSU when not enrolled.

Class Size

Classes at SRSU may be as small as five and seldom larger than 20 students. Small class size is a great advantage for both students and faculty. Each student is heard, and ideas and opinions are explored. Professors get to know students as individuals and the learning environment is enriched.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is important to the attainment of the educational objectives of the University. Therefore, students should attend all classes. Attendance includes being punctual for class and ready to engage with the professor and the day’s material. The instructor’s policy on class attendance will be explained at the beginning of the semester or term. In accordance with the instructor’s policy, the instructor has the right to penalize students who are out of compliance with the class attendance policy.

Authorized/Excused Absences Statement

An absence because of participation in an official University activity is considered to be an authorized/excused absence. While every effort will be made by departments to minimize missed class time of students by careful scheduling of authorized University activities, when a student has to miss a class due to an authorized University activity, it will be the responsibility of the student to notify the instructor of the class in advance. The department responsible for the authorized University activity will also notify instructors through the Student Life Office by providing an excused absence list to the office. Instructors will give students participating in an authorized University activity the opportunity to make up class work, including tests, within a reasonable time and at the convenience of the instructor.

Should an instructor have an attendance policy that allows for the dropping of a student after a certain number of absences, authorized/excuses absences will not be counted towards that number of absences. Any student dropped for excessive absences will receive either an “F” or a “W” depending upon the faculty member’s discretion.

Distance Education (Web-course) Non-Participation Statement

Policies in effect for on-campus, traditional classroom instruction courses also apply to students enrolled in distance education courses, including Web-based and ITV courses. Non-participation and inactivity may include not logging on to the course, not submitting assignments or participating in other assigned activities as scheduled, not communicating with the instructor by phone or e-mail, and/or not following the instructor’s participation guidelines stated in the syllabus.

Religious Holy Days Absences (HB 256 78th Legislature)

In accordance with Texas Education Code 51.911, SRSU shall excuse a student from attending classes or other required activities, including examinations for the observance of a religious holy day, including travel for that purpose. A student whose absence is excused under this subsection may not be penalized for that absence and shall be allowed to take an examination or complete an assignment from which the student is excused within a reasonable time after the absence. “Religious holy day” means a holy day observed by a religion whose places of worship are exempt from property taxation under Section 11.20, Tax Code.

Final Examinations

Examinations are scheduled at the end of each term. Exam dates are listed on the Registrar’s Office page. Students are expected to take exams at the scheduled times. A student who is absent from an examination without instructor approval may receive a grade of zero for the final examination which could result in a grade of “F” for the course. In case of illness or other unforeseen circumstances that could prevent a student from taking final examinations at the posted time, the student must contact the instructor and make individual arrangements to reschedule in advance of the exam.


At the end of each semester and each summer term final grades are recorded on the student’s permanent record by Office of the Registrar.

A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Average 2
D Poor 1
F Failure 0
F0 Failure/Never Attended 0
FX Failure/Stopped Attending 0
I Incomplete 0
CR Credit Not Computed
NC No Credit 0
NG No Grade Not Computed
NR Not Reported 0
P Pass Not Computed
PR Progress Not Computed
W/WX Withdrew Not Computed
WF Withdrew/Failed Not Computed
WP Withdrew/Passing Not Computed

Incomplete Grades

The grade of “I” is given by the instructor upon consultation with the student. The work to be completed and deadline for completion must be communicated to the Registrar in writing. A student may complete any outstanding work such that a permanent grade can be assigned no later than the regular class day of the immediately succeeding semester in which the course was originally taken.  During the timeframe in which work is performed to earn the permanent grade, the “I” grade will be calculated in the student’s grade point average as an “F” (no quality points). If the work is not completed by deadline, the “I” will be converted to a permanent “F” on the transcript.
Normally, an incomplete grade will be awarded only for situations such as illness, family emergencies, or unusual circumstances which prevent a student from completing a course in a semester or summer term. Incomplete grades must be removed prior to graduation.

Non-Reported Grades

The grade of “NR” is given by the Office of the Registrar when the instructor fails to meet the grade submission deadline. The “NR” grade will be calculated in the student’s grade point average as an “F” (no quality points) until such time as the instructor submits the official grade via the grade change request form.

PR Grades

There are two instances when “PR” grades are used in the grading process: Students who complete any developmental education courses, including ED 0300, ENG 0301, MATH 0300, or MATH 0301 or others, in good standing, but who have not earned a letter grade of “A”, “B” or “C” for the course may earn a grade of “PR” The grade of “PR” indicates that even though the student has made progress throughout the semester the student is not yet ready to advance to the next course. Criteria for determining “good standing” are all of the following:the student must have attended class regularly, participated in class and class work, and demonstrated an increase in course knowledge. Students who are not in good standing at the end of the semester will earn either a grade of “D” or “F”

The grade of “PR” (in progress) will be assigned for students in the second semester thesis course, counseling internship courses, or practicum courses. Students working on a thesis, counseling internship, or practicum should be continuously enrolled in the appropriate course. Credit will be given upon completion of the thesis or practicum. A grade of “PR” will not be calculated in the student’s grade point average.

Withdrew Grades

The grade of “W” or “WX” is given for courses dropped after the 12th/4th class days through the last day to drop a course with a “W” as published in the University’s calendar. Students who wait until the published deadline must have complied with the class attendance policy of this catalog. An instructor is not obligated to recommend a “W” for a class if excessive absences have occurred. Students will not be permitted to drop a course or withdraw from the University after the published deadline.

Failing Grades

The grades “F”, “FX”, and “F0” are all failing grades. The “F” is awarded to students that continue to attend classes throughout the semester yet fail to pass the course. The “FX” is awarded to students that fail due to an unofficial withdrawal (student stops attending class without formally dropping or withdrawing). The “F0” is awarded to students that never attend class.

Symbols Associated with Courses and Grades

E Repeated Course Not Computed
I Repeated Course Highest Grade Computed
# Developmental Course Not Computed

Repeat Policy

Except for courses specifically described, “may be repeated for credit”, only the highest grade received for a repeated course is calculated in the GPA. If the grade is the same when repeated, the most recent grade is calculated. The excluded grade will remain on the record but will be excluded from the GPA calculations. Courses repeated at a transfer institution will be treated in the same manner.

Grade Point Average

Sul Ross State University utilizes the four-point grading system. The student’s grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of GPA hours into the total number of grade points received. The grade point value for a course is determined by multiplying the number of credit hours by the quality point value for the grade earned. For example, grade points earned for “B” in a three semester credit hour course is 9 (3 credit hours x 3 quality points.) GPA hours are the hours for which a letter grade is earned (A, B, C, D, F),excluding repeated courses and developmental courses

Grade Changes

An individual course grade may be changed when the involved faculty member certifies to the Registrar that an error was made in the original grade. The grade change must be approved by the department chair and appropriate academic dean. Grade changes must be submitted before the end of the next long semester after the grade was issued.

No Grade

Students who do not desire college credit for a course may elect to take the course under the designation “NG” (no grade). To take a course under the “NG” designation, a student must complete the NG Grade Option form and submit to the Center for Enrollment Services during registration or prior to the 12th class day. The no grade option is intended primarily for non-degree students who wish to improve their personal knowledge of a subject without receiving college credit. Students choosing the “NG” designation pay the same tuition and fees as students taking the course for credit and consequently are entitled to participate in all class activities and to receive the same student services available to other students.

Grade Reports

Students can access their grades through Self-Service as soon as they are posted by faculty and officially verified by the Registrar’s Office.

The four-digit numbering system is based on the following criteria:

  • The level of the courses is identified by the first digit as follows: freshman, 1; sophomore, 2; junior, 3; senior, 4; and graduate, 5-7.
  • The semester credit hour is identified by the second digit.
  • University and/or departmental codes are identified by the last two digits.

Course titles in the academic programs section of this Catalog are followed by two numbers in parentheses.

  • The first number refers to the number of lecture contact hours per week;
  • The second refers to the number of laboratory contact hours per week. For example, (3- 2) indicates three contact hours of lecture and two contact hours of laboratory each week. Lecture contact hours are the hours per week students are required to spend in contact with faculty in a lecture setting, e.g., class, conference, seminar, individual instruction, private lesson, thesis or dissertation discussion, or independent study. Laboratory contact hours are the number of hours per week that students are required to spend in contact with faculty in an experiential situation, e.g., laboratory clinical, practicum, internship, or student teaching.

A student’s Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of GPA hours.

Distance Learning is a formal educational process in which the majority of instruction (interaction between instructors and students) occurs when students and instructors are not in the same physical location. Distance Learning courses may employ the internet, broadcast, audio, video, or recordings. Instruction may be asynchronous or synchronous.

Asynchronous Learning uses online learning resources to facilitate instruction outside the constraints of time and location, meaning students may take courses to accommodate their busy schedules. Asynchronous course content at SRSU is available through Blackboard, a course management system (CMS). Online degree programs and courses are generally asynchronous.

Synchronous Learning refers to instruction that occurs at a designated class time through synchronous tools such as Blackboard, Adobe Connect, WebEx, Zoom, and Skype. Synchronous instruction requires students to attend online classes on a regular schedule.

To protect the integrity of its educational courses and programs, the University takes measures to ensure a student awarded academic credit is the same student who successfully completes course requirements. Students enrolled in any distance learning course may be required to participate in authentication methods such as a) secure login and pass code, b) proctored examinations, or c) new or other technologies and practices that are effective in verifying student identification. There may be additional charges associated with proctored examinations or other verification processes. If applicable, this authentication requirement and associated fees will be clearly stated on the course syllabus or registration materials.

Direct instruction is defined as faculty lead or assigned activities that lead to student learning. This may include but is not limited to traditional lecture, facilitating seminars, giving feedback on individual or group projects, reflection/feedback of student work, feedback on group work, individual or group project feedback/facilitation, reviewing drafts of papers, or projects and other activities that engage the students in learning the material. This description will be noted in the course syllabus.

Online Courses

All distance education courses (i.e. online, hybrid, blended) align with the credit hour policies and definitions above stated. Distance education course learning objectives, assignments, and assessments are comparable to in-seat courses and require at least as many hours of study and provide the same rigor and, thus, result in the same credit hours awarded upon completion.

Application of Federal Credit-Hour Policy to SRSU Instruction

Accelerated Sessions: Courses offered within the standard semester in which the credit hours offered are the same as standard semester courses. The content and substantive learning outcomes are the same. These courses have the required 2250 contact minutes, and/or meet in hybrid or online format.

Lecture/Seminar: Course focuses on principles, concepts or ideas, lecture, discussion, and demonstration. A semester credit hour is earned for a minimum of fifteen, 50-minute sessions of direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of student preparation time outside of class per week throughout the semester. A typical three-credit hour course meets for three, 50- minute sessions or two, 75-minute sessions a week for at least fifteen weeks. Most lecture and seminar courses are awarded 3 credits.

Laboratory: Practical application courses where the major focus includes “hands on” experience to support student learning (use of equipment, activities, tools, machines generally found in a laboratory). 1- 2 Laboratory credits represents a minimum of 1 hour per week of lecture or discussion plus a minimum of 2 – 4 hours of scheduled supervised or independent laboratory work.

Internship/Field Experience: Courses developed for independent learning and the development and application of job related or practical skills in a particular discipline. These courses allow for observation, participation, and fieldwork, and are generally offered off campus. Internship time includes a combination of supervised time by approved experts outside the university, student assignments, and time supervised by a university instructor. A 3 credit internship equals a minimum of 150 hours.

Practicum/Student Teaching: Courses developed for independent learning and the development and application of job related or practical skills in a particular discipline. These courses allow for observation, participation, client evaluation, fieldwork, and are offered off campus. Internship time includes a combination of supervised time by approved experts outside the university, student assignments, and time supervised by a university instructor. Practicum/Student Teaching hours comply with professional accreditation (ACEN/NCATE requirements).

Clinical Placement: Supervised experiences where students are afforded an opportunity to apply skills and techniques acquired from assessment and intervention-oriented course material. The number of hours varies by academic program based on clinical placement, accreditation requirements, site hour requirements, and student assignments.

Independent Study: Courses that permit a student to study a subject or topic in considerable depth beyond the scope of a regular course. Students meet periodically, as agreed upon with the faculty member for the duration of the course. University faculty provides guidance, criticism, and review of the student’s work. Students demonstrate competency through the completion of a final assessment either by submitting a final paper, project, or portfolio, etc. as required by the faculty member. Credit hours are assigned based on the amount of activity associated with the course, faculty supervision, and amount of student outside work. Credits conform to the standard minimum of 50 minutes of student work per credit hour, per week, for the course of the term or the semester. For a 15-week semester, this would be equal to 112.50 hours for a 3- credit independent study.

Hybrid: A course that is composed of both online learning and classroom learning to meet the learning objectives of the course is considered hybrid. In a hybrid course, approximately half of the course is scheduled as face-to-face, and 49% or less of the course is to be scheduled as online. For a three-credit 15-week course, up to 76.50 minutes (1.275 hours) a week are scheduled face-to-face and up to 73.50 minutes (1.225 hours) per a week are scheduled online equaling a total of 150 minutes of instruction per week.

Online: Approved online courses must demonstrate instruction and student learning through interactive methods to include tutorials, group discussions, virtual study/project groups, discussion boards, chat rooms, etc. Credits hours assigned to a course delivered online must equal the number of credit hour equivalency for the same course delivered face-to-face. Quality Matters standards for the design and delivery of online courses are used in online course development and faculty who teach online courses have been trained in online teaching pedagogy through quality matters.

Sul Ross State University has adopted institutional procedures in compliance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), assuring the right of a student to review his or her educational records upon request. For more information, please inquire at the Center for Enrollment Services in Alpine or the Assistant Provost and Dean in Uvalde 830-279-3032, or the Director of Admissions and Records in Eagle Pass 830-758-5006.

Educational Records Defined

Education records are defined by FERPA 34 CFR 99.3 as follows:

(a) Educational records includes those records that are:

  1. Directly related to a student; and
  2. Maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.

(b) Educational records do not include:

  • (1) Records that are kept in the sole possession of the maker, are used only as a personal memory aid, and are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record.
  • (1) Records of the law enforcement unit of an educational agency or institution, subject to the provisions of § 99.8.
  • (3)(I) Records relating to an individual who is employed by an educational agency or institution, that:

    (A) Are made and maintained in the normal course of business:
    (B) Relate exclusively to the individual in that individual’s capacity as an employee; and
    (C) Are not available for use for any other purpose.

  • (3)(II) Records relating to an individual in attendance at the agency or institution who is employed as a result of his or her status as a student are education records and not excepted under paragraph (b)(3)(i) of this definition.
  • (4) Records on a student who is 18 years of age or older, or is attending an institution of postsecondary education, that are:

    (i) Made or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting in his or her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity;
    (ii) Made, maintained, or used only in connection with treatment of the student; and
    (iii) Disclosed only to individuals providing the treatment. For the purpose of this definition, ‘‘treatment’’ does not include remedial educational activities or activities that are part of the program of instruction at the agency or institution; and

  • (5) Records created or received by an educational agency or institution after an individual is no longer a student in attendance and that are not directly related to the individual’s attendance as a student.
  • (6) Grades on peer-graded papers before they are collected and recorded by a teacher. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g(a)(4))

Confidentiality of Educational Records

Sul Ross State University has adopted procedures in compliance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. The Act provides students the right to review their educational records upon request. To preserve strict confidentiality of records, the University does not permit access to or release of educational records or personal information, other than directory information, or without the written consent of the student. Exceptions to this restriction are limited to the following:

  • Judicial subpoena of records, upon condition that the University makes a reasonable effort to notify the student in advance of the release of records.
  • Emergency situations, if knowledge of personal information is necessary to protect the health and safety of a student or other person(s).

Directory information is defined as:

Student’s name, permanent address and telephone number, Sul Ross email address, age, major field of study, dates of attendance, classification, enrollment status (full-time or part-time), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, degrees, honors, and awards received (including University scholarships), and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.

Students may request that the University not release directory information by completing a Request for Non-Disclosure of Directory Information form. For more information regarding your privacy rights, contact the Center for Enrollment Services or the Office of Admissions and Records in Eagle Pass 830-758-5006.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

In accordance with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLB Act), Public law 106-102 (1999), Sul Ross State University protects the private non-public information of students and employees.

SRSU collects information such as:

  • Name Gender
  • Social Security Number
  • Financial Status
  • Date and location of birth
  • Salary History
  • Driver’s License Numbers

SRSU’s policy is to identify and safeguard this information with the appropriate procedures to insure compliance with the GLB Act. SRSU manages private non-public information in accordance with all applicable state and federal guidelines relating to use, disclosure and retention of private non-public information.

The University reports grades at the end of each semester for all students. Only the grades reported at the end of the semester (final grades) are used in the computation of the student’s Grade Point Averages and Academic Standing. Mid-term grades may be given and are simply an indication of a student’s progress.

The University does not mail final grade reports. Students may access their grades through Lobo Online.

The Graduate Council consists of department chairs or representatives of departments with graduate programs in Alpine and off-site campuses. The Council serves as an advisory group to the Dean of Graduate Studies, who chairs the Council and implements its policy recommendations or submits those recommendations to the Provost for approval by the Executive Committee. The principal responsibilities of the Council are as follows:

  • To serve in an advisory capacity for recommending new degree and certification programs, admissions and graduation policies, and policies to ensure high quality graduate programs throughout the University.
  • To establish and review criteria for membership on the graduate faculty
  • To make recommendations on matters of institutional effectiveness relating to graduate studies, including adherence to standards of the university as printed in the Catalog and to the accreditation criteria of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
  • To recommend policies on professional development of the graduate faculty.

All graduate courses taught at Sul Ross State University are taught by members of the graduate faculty. The graduate faculty will impart the skills and methodology of scholarship and the art of critical inquiry to the student. This is accomplished in seminars, through graduate research, by means of internships and practicums, and in thesis or major project undertakings.

Members of the graduate faculty will have a terminal degree or equivalent in their discipline and exhibit scholarly excellence through research, artistic creativity, or other appropriate functions related to the goals of graduate programs.

Leveling Work

“Leveling” work, undergraduate courses taken to remove deficiencies in the student’s field of study, will not be counted in the graduate-level grade point average, but the student is expected to exhibit the same proficiency in this area as in the graduate-level courses.

Any courses not specifically identified within a student’s Program of Study are not eligible for financial aid. Students should contact their Advisor to determine the best approach to satisfy leveling coursework. Students will not be allowed to enroll into more than 12 hours of levelling coursework.

A graduate student admitted under academic probation whose grade point average falls below 3.0 will be suspended from further graduate study.

Official degree plans are maintained in Degree Works, a degree audit system that allows students and advisors to maintain an electronic degree plan that is automatically updated as requirements are met. Any change in the official plan (substitutions, waivers) will be permitted only on the basis of reasonable cause. All changes must be approved by the advisor, department chair, and the Dean of the College. Any transfer work to be applied to degree requirements must comply with requirements specified under “transfer work”. If professional certification is desired, the student must also have the approval of the Director of Teacher Education.

The student and the major advisor should establish a graduate committee following these criteria:

  1. The committee should be composed of no fewer than three members, at least two representing the major department. One member may be from another department or a professional from outside the University in an appropriate discipline.
  2. Faculty members must be members of the Graduate Faculty.
  3. External members must meet the established requirements for membership to the Graduate Faculty or the professional equivalents.

Students who are required to write a thesis in a Master of Arts, Master of Science, or Master of Business Administration program are required to follow the indicated procedures.

  1. The committee shall be composed of no fewer than three members, at least two representing the major department.
  2. A graduate student following a degree plan, which requires a thesis, must be registered during any semester or summer term in which assistance is provided by the committee members or when the library or other research facilities of Sul Ross State University are used. All graduate students must be enrolled when the thesis is submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies and accepted for graduation.
  3. The thesis must be submitted to the committee chair and the thesis committee early in the semester that the student plans to graduate. Once the student has made any revisions specified by the chair and the committee, the final copy of the thesis should be prepared and the thesis defense scheduled. The College of Graduate Studies will provide a timeline each semester indicating the dates by which the thesis must be submitted to all parties.
  4. A public oral defense of the thesis is required of all candidates prior to the submission of the final thesis to the College of Graduate Studies. Announcement of the defense must be posted in the major department, the appropriate College office, the College of Graduate Studies, and the office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs at least one week prior to the defense. Following a successful defense, committee members will sign the approval page of the thesis.
  5. The final copy of the thesis and the signed approval page must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies. The Graduate Thesis Coordinator reviews the thesis for required formatting, per University standards. Once the student has made any required format changes and the thesis has been approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies, the thesis can be uploaded to ProQuest.
  6. The Office of Graduate Studies will assist the student in formatting an electronic copy of the thesis for ProQuest, following the guidelines using the ProQuest website. The student will pay a standard fee or $100 (or ProQuest’s current charges), which pays for binding four copies of the thesis (two for the University library, one for the major department, and one for the student). A portion of this fee ensures the inclusion of the full text of the thesis in ProQuest’s subscription database, ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Database (PQDT). Any additional copies are at the student’s discretion.
  7. Only when the thesis has been approved and submitted to ProQuest will the student earn a final grade in the thesis defense. The approval of the Dean of the Academic College and the Graduate College is required before a grade may be submitted by the student’s advisor.

All candidates for the master’s degree must pass a comprehensive examination or portfolio defense, either oral or written or both as specified by the major department. This examination may be scheduled through the major advisor after the student has completed at least twenty-four (24) semester hours of graduate credit.

Students failing the comprehensive examination will be given an opportunity to retake the examination and meet other stipulations established by the committee or department. A third and final attempt will be allowed with the approval of the Dean of the College. The results of each attempted examination must be filed in the Dean of the College’s Office. All students must be enrolled in each term that the comprehensive exam is attempted and must be enrolled in the term they graduate.

Before a candidate can be cleared for graduation, a passing grade on the examination must be filed in the Dean of the College’s Office at least ten days before the commencement at which the degree is to be conferred.

Graduating students must be enrolled at Sul Ross State University in the term in which they apply for graduation. Students not enrolled at SRSU during the semester they plan to graduate who are completing coursework at another institution will not be cleared to graduate.

The University awards degrees in May, August and December. Students must complete all degree requirements and apply for graduation by the published due date. Students will not be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony prior to completion of degree requirements.

Graduation – Application

Alpine: Applications to graduate must be submitted to the Registrar. Forms are available online at A student is expected to submit an application for graduation by the application deadline or before the final semester of enrollment and pay applicable fees. Students who are not able to complete degree requirements as planned will resubmit the application during the semester or summer term in which they expect to graduate. The University Calendar at the front of this Catalog should be consulted for the graduation application deadlines.

RGC: Forms may be obtained from the Dean’s office of Rio Grande College or any of the Business Services offices at any of the three sites or online under Forms and Downloads. A diploma fee of $30.00 is required. A student is expected to submit an application for graduation during the semester preceding the final semester of enrollment. Students who are not able to complete degree requirements as planned will re-submit the application during the semester or summer term at the end of which they expect to graduate. Applications which must be resubmitted require a $5.00 diploma insert fee. The University Calendar at the front of this catalog should be consulted for a specific deadline for applying to graduate. Students applying after the posted deadline for application in the Academic Calendar must also pay a $25.00 late application fee.


Commencement ceremonies for the awarding of degrees to candidates are held at the end of the spring semester and at the end of the fall semester on the dates listed in the University Calendar. Students graduating in August may participate the December commencement exercise. Graduates are expected to participate in commencement. Information and instructions concerning commencement will be e-mailed to each candidate prior to graduation. Please see the Graduation and Commencement page for additional details.

Subject to the approval of the Dean of the College and the department Chair, a student holding a valid master’s degree from an accredited graduate institution within the past ten years may apply certain courses which were a part of the first master’s degree toward a second master’s degree. Generally, these previously applied semester hours will be applied toward a minor or related field of study. The number of semester hours so permitted will be:

a) For thirty-six semester hour programs, no more than twelve semester hours of approved courses with no grade of less than “B” in each, including all extension and transfer work; or
b) For thirty semester-hour programs, no more than nine semester hours of approved courses with no grade less than a “B” in each, including all extension and transfer work.
c) All remaining courses necessary to complete the second master’s degree must be credit courses at Sul Ross State University as this provision is subject to the rules governing the maximum amount of transfer and extension work which may be applied toward any master’s degree. A grade point average of 3.0 must be maintained in these courses, exclusive of the work accepted in a and b above.

The second master’s degree will be subject to the general rules governing master’s degrees except as stated above.

A Matriculant is a student who has been officially admitted by the University as a candidate for an academic credential. Matriculants are guaranteed SRSU will provide the courses they are required to fulfill the requirements for the credential. In order to maintain matriculant status a student must complete academic coursework. The Catalog (Catalog Year) in effect when a student matriculates contains the policies and requirements under which the student must satisfy graduate.

Regular session:

The graduate load shall not exceed fifteen (15) semester credit hours per semester.

Summer session:

The graduate load shall not exceed 12 total hours with six (6) semester credit hours per module in the summer session.

Graduate assistants:

A graduate student employed as a graduate assistant may carry a combined course/work load of no more than 32 clock hours per week.

Full-time student:

Any graduate student who registers for nine (9) or more semester credits in the University during a long semester is considered a full-time student.

Any graduate student who registers for a total of six (6) credits in the summer term is considered a full-time student.

For students on assistantship, refer to the Administrative Policy Manual for student employment eligibility.

The maximal period of time for which the provisions of any Catalog may be considered valid is 6 years. Students who began a degree program six or more years prior to the date of their anticipated graduation must consult their academic dean to determine which Catalog must be followed.

From the time of successful completion of the Comprehensive Examination and/or Oral Defense, students are allowed a maximum of one calendar year to successfully complete their thesis and submit to ProQuest.

Registration – General

New students plan their courses and register in consultation with an academic advisor prior to the beginning of their first semester.

A student’s SRSU email account is the primary vehicle for communicating administrative or transactional information to students. Registration must be performed online via the student portal – Lobo Online.

Tuition and Fees must be paid. A complete bill is available to each student via Lobo Online. It is imperative students check their SRSU email regularly for reminders regarding tuition and fee payment deadlines or other information regarding dates for payment, registration, drop/add, withdrawal, or graduation. Payment of tuition and fees is due approximately one week before classes begin each term. SRSU offers multiple payment plans and students are encouraged to contact the Business Office to discuss options.

No one may register/enroll in any enrollment period after the official registration period indicated in the University Calendar. No student will be permitted to remain in class unless the instructor has received evidence of proper registration (which includes payment).

Registration – Adding Courses for Credit

Courses may be added for credit only during Registration (Drop/Add) period for a given term. Students are required to monitor the official University Academic Calendar for all dates surrounding registration changes and charges associated with these changes.

Registration – Auditing Classes

Regularly enrolled students at SRSU may audit a class by obtaining written permission from the Chair of the Department in which the course is taught and the Dean of the College in which they are enrolled. The fee for auditing a course is $50 per credit.

Once a student has audited a course, they will not receive university academic credit by any means of advanced standing, examination, or advanced placement on previously audited work. Students are allowed to enroll and receive academic credit for previously audited work by enrolling in the course for academic credit.

Registration – Dropping Courses

Courses may be “dropped” during the Registration, Drop/Add period for a given term. Students are required to monitor the official Academic Calendar regarding scheduling dates and their particular access to registration via their Lobo Online portal. Students should be aware there are differing dates and associated fees for registration actions (adding vs. dropping). Please consult The Catalog for charges associated with dropping and adding courses.

Students should be aware there could be financial aid implications for dropping a course. Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid before dropping courses.

Students should be aware of course rotations and dropping a course could impact their ability to graduate within their desired timeframe.

Students will not be allowed to drop a course after the published end date. Students who fail to drop courses by the published final date for such action will be retained on the class rolls even though they may be absent for the remainder of the semester.

A student may be dropped, at the discretion of the Dean of the College, from any course for which the student is ineligible.

Failure to attend class does not constitute a course drop. Withdrawn courses reduce a student’s enrolled hours, but not the student’s financial obligation (see section on Withdrawal from the University).

Penalty for Non-Payment of Tuition and Fees

Students who do not complete payment of tuition and fees by the date specified each semester may be withdrawn from the class at the discretion of the Business Office. Non-payment is not a means of dropping a class. Re-registration is possible before class begins or during the Drop/Add period, on a space available basis, with payment of an additional registration fee.

Change of Registration – exceptions

Changes in registration/enrollment must be made before the end of the Drop/Add Period. Once the Drop/Add Period is complete, students may not add a course or change sections of the same course.

To withdraw from a course after the Drop/Add Period, the student must do so by completing a Course Withdrawal Form. The completed form is filed with the Registrar’s Office. The deadline for withdrawing from a course is published in the academic calendar. Students who stop attending class, and do not officially withdraw, will be assigned a grade of “FX” and are financially responsible for the full tuition charged for the course.

Schedule Changes

Courses may be added during the regular and late registration periods for the term. Courses may be dropped through the last day to drop a course. Courses dropped through the official Census date for the term do not appear on the student’s permanent record. Courses dropped after the official census date for the term through the last day to drop a course will be assigned a grade of “W”. No courses may be dropped after the published last day to drop or withdraw.

Dropping all classes on or after the first day of a term is considered a withdrawal. An official withdrawal form must be completed and submitted to the Center for Enrollment Services in Alpine or the Office of Admissions and Records, RGC.

Withdrawal prior to the official census date for the term will result in no academic record for the term. A withdrawal after the official census date for the term through the last day to withdraw will result in the creation of an academic record; all classes will be reported with a grade of “W”. Requests for withdrawal will not be processed after the published last day to withdraw.

Schedule change and withdrawal forms be found online on the Registrar website.

Dates for registration periods, official census dates, and last day to drop or withdraw are published on the University’s calendar at The refund policy for dropped courses and withdrawals may be found in this catalog and online on the Registrar website.

In the absence of any designated time limits in documents on policies or procedures, the University imposes a time limit of one year for the initiation of any request for an exception to its rules or regulations.

The Sul Ross State University Student Handbook is an official student policy. The SRSU Student Handbook describes what is expected of a student with respect to behavior and conduct in the SRSU community and outlines the procedures to be followed when these expectations are not met. The Student Handbook includes the Code of Student Conduct as well as other rules, regulations, and policies governing student life.

Each student is issued a permanent identification card, including a photograph. This card will be used for the entire duration of the student’s enrollment at the University. The card is required for borrowing library books, cashing personal checks, admittance to athletic and social events, selling used textbooks, Testing Services, meal plans, entrance into university buildings – including residence halls, and other official purposes. Fraudulent use of the ID card is a violation of the Honor Code and will result in disciplinary action. The card is issued to the individual student and must not be loaned to another person for any reason. Any University official having just cause has the right to request that a student show the identification card for identification purposes. Upon such a request by a University official, the student is required to comply.

A student’s Semester/Term Grade Point Average (TGPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned in the semester by the total number of GPA hours in the semester.

The official permanent academic records for all SRSU students are in the custody of the Registrar’s Office. Release of these records is protected by the “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act” (FERPA). Transcripts of the academic record may be secured by the individual personally or will be released on the student’s written authorization. Transcripts cannot be issued until the student or former student has settled all financial obligations to the University and has submitted all required transcripts from other colleges attended.

Online Ordering Services

Printed hard copy transcripts, electronic transcripts, and FedEx delivery service are all available online through Credentials Solutions, Inc.

If you have your LoboOnLine credentials, you can authenticate by logging in to LoboOnLine. This allows you to avoid completing the Signature Authorization form:

  1. Log into LoboOnLine.
  2. Select Student tab.
  3. Select Student Records.
  4. Select the Order Official Transcript link – this redirects you to Credentials Solutions, Inc.
  5. Follow the provided instructions to complete your order.

If you are not able to authenticate through LoboOnLine (Alumni):

  1. Use Credentials Solutions, Inc. to place your order.
  2. Follow the provided instructions to complete your order.
  3. Use a mouse or touch screen to complete the authorization process.

When placing an order online, we recommend using Edge, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari web browsers. The pop-up blocker may need to be disabled in order to access the order page.

Federal Express delivery is only available when placing an online order. E-Transcript and First Class mail delivery is also available. Credit or debit cards are accepted for payment.

Free transcripts

A Publications and Records fees was approved and assessed to all students beginning in the fall 2004 term. If you attended Sul Ross fall 2004 or later, you paid this fee and are entitiled to two free paper transcripts per term in which the fee was paid. You must request your free transcript(s) in writing using the paper transcript request form. There are no “rush” options available for free paper transcripts. Processing and delivery via USPS may take up to two weeks.

Free paper transcripts are printed in either Alpine or Eagle Pass. Paper transcripts can be given to the student (valid photo ID required) or delivered by First Class mail. Federal Express delivery is only available when placing an online order through Credentials Solutions, Inc. Students are responsible for providing the correct delivery address.

In Person Requests (valid photo ID required)

Undergraduate students with good academic standing may enroll for graduate credit if they meet these criteria:

  1. They are within 12 hours of graduation.
  2. Their total course load does not exceed fifteen semester hours in the regular session, or six semester hours in each summer term,
  3. They have the written permission of (a) their major advisor, (b) the instructor of each course involved and (c) the Dean of the College at the time of registration.

Students should be aware of the following conditions:

  1. Under no circumstances may graduate courses be taken to fulfill requirements for a baccalaureate degree.
  2. No course taken without the requisite permission may be counted for graduate credit toward a degree.
  3. There is no guarantee that work approved and completed will be accepted for fulfillment of degree requirements.
  4. The maximum number of graduate semester hours that an undergraduate may accrue is twelve.

In exceptional circumstances, certain upper-level undergraduate courses, which are taught by members of the Graduate Faculty or Associate Graduate Faculty, may be taken for graduate credit upon (a) consent of the instructor of the course and (b) approval of the graduate major advisor. The student will enroll in a graduate level course cross-listed with the undergraduate course. Graduate students are required to attend the undergraduate course and complete all work required at the undergraduate level. In addition, graduate students must complete additional work beyond that required in the undergraduate course representative of the breadth, depth, scope, and increased contact required of graduate level work. This work may include but not be limited to: documented papers, essays, themes, research, or equivalent and/or other assignments deemed appropriate by the graduate faculty instructor.

A graduate course syllabus identifying the additional work to be done for the course and the means by which a grade will be determined must be developed by the faculty member offering the undergraduate course for graduate credit.

Once a student has begun an undergraduate course for graduate credit, the course must be completed as a graduate course.

If the University must close due to unexpected circumstances, faculty and students will have to make up missed class and laboratory time. In some circumstances resulting in closure of the University, the Provost will determine how classes will be made up. In other circumstances, the methods for making up missed classes and laboratories will be with extra assignments and readings, additional days of class or laboratory, additional class time, or in other manners to be determined.

Sul Ross State University expects of its students a high degree of honor in all phases of college life. It is the responsibility of all students to familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations governing student conduct as published whether in print or on the web, in the SRSU Student Handbook and other official publications.

The authority structure for administrating the judicial code is the President, through the Vice President for Student Life. Please refer to the section on Judicial and Student Assistance in this catalog and to the SRSU Student Handbook for more details.

Sul Ross State University serves those students who are eligible to receive educational benefits from the Veterans Administration. Records are maintained and reports made to the Veterans Administration on behalf of veterans, dependents, active-duty servicemen, and eligible reservists enrolled in the University.

Students eligible to receive educational benefits from the Veteran’s Administration must inform the Veteran’s Certifying Official at each registration to insure prompt certification of enrollment. In addition to receiving the academic advisor’s approval of the course schedule, these students should also confer with the Veteran’s Certifying Official prior to registration concerning certification of the courses.

The Veteran’s Certifying Official should also be notified of any changes in the Schedule at any time during the registration period.

Students eligible to receive educational benefits from the Veterans Administration must also have on file in the Center for Enrollment Services a degree plan by the end of the first semester of enrollment at the University.

Veterans who were legal Texas residents prior to their enlistment and who have resided in Texas at least twelve months after their discharge from the service may be eligible to enroll under the Hazelwood Act which exempts them from paying tuition. Under this act, the veteran is required to pay local specified fees. For more information, contact the Veteran’s Certifying Official at (432) 837-8050 in Alpine or at (830) 703-4816 in Del Rio.

Any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits will be allowed to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

A. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
B. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Sul Ross will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any student because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funds from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

The University reserves the right to request at any time the withdrawal of a student for reasons of poor scholarship or unsatisfactory conduct or non-attendance. Students who voluntarily withdraw from the University must submit a withdrawal form.

Failure to attend classes does not constitute a withdrawal. Withdrawal eliminates a student’s enrolled hours, but not the student’s financial obligations.

Caution: Withdrawing from courses may have an adverse effect on financial aid, scholarships, loan deferments, athletic eligibility, health insurance, veteran’s benefits, degree requirements, graduate assistantships, or other areas. Students considering course drops or resignation should first check with their advisor, College, and Enrollment Services to determine if this is their best option.