Student Health Insurance

Sul Ross State University does not offer a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The mandatory medical fee is NOT health insurance. University athletes have limited supplemental accident through the Physical Education department; call (432) 837-8226 for details.

The health insurance requirement for domestic students at Sul Ross is fully voluntary. It is strongly recommended that these students maintain a comprehensive health plan. International students must show proof of health insurance that is good in the United States.

State insurance guidance at Texas health options

Military veterans may check with Brewster County's veteran representative, or go to West Texas VA Health Care System for information about service related benefits.

Disclaimer: The following links to health insurance products, services and/or memberships are for informational purposes only and do NOT represent an endorsement by Sul Ross State University's Student Health Services.

To better understand medical coverage plans, see The young adult's guide to health insurance by MoneyGeek.    

There are several independent insurance agents in Alpine who can help locate a health plan to fit your needs.

Bethany Brookover, Agent
GSM Insurors of West Texas
205 N. Harrison Street
Phone: (432) 837-7419
Monica Woodall
State Farm Insurance Agent
906 E Holland Ave
Phone: 432-837-5631
Talley–Reed Insurance Agency
105 West Avenue E
Phone: (432) 837-3459
Dona Ward Blevins
Farmers Insurance
710 E Ave E
Phone: (432) 837-2225
Be advised the university's remote location requires adequate ambulance coverage. When selecting your health insurance plan, be sure the ambulance benefit covers the cost of a medical airlift. Another option is to subscribe to an air ambulance service to help defray the cost.

Online student insurance help by Academic Health Plans

EJ Smith's short-term and international student medical plans

International student and scholar health insurance by Compass Benefits Group

International Student Organization (ISO) in the USA, call toll free 1-800-244-1180

State Assistance:

The Medicaid office is located in Centennial School's Human Services Department, 500 W Avenue H # 104, Phone (432) 837-3338.

For information about Texas' primary care program, contact the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) at (432) 837-3877. STD screening and vaccinations are offered by DSHS to underinsured residents.