Dental Early Admission Program
What is DEAP?
Through a cooperative agreement between The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and Sul Ross State University, individuals interested in dentistry may obtain both a bachelor's of science degree and a doctorate in dental science degree in seven years. The dual degree student will complete three years of their undergraduate degree at Sul Ross State University, after completion of the first year of dental courses, complete their fourth year while attending dental school. Sul Ross will apply those credits towards completing the bachelor's degree requirements.
What Does a Student Accepted to DEAP Receive?
- Mentoring and personal assistance to prepare for dental school while attending SRSU.
- Admission to UTHSC-SA Dental School if all program requirements are met.
- Undertake a Dental Immersion Experience- get to meet and shadow individuals already at dental school and meet your future professors.
- Complete fourth year of B.S. in Biology while taking dental courses at UTHSC-SA.
- 3 + 4 = 2 (Three years college, four years dental school, two degrees)
- Receive access to study materials for DAT preparation.
When Does a Student Apply for DEAP?
Students should apply for the DEAP Program after completing 12 semester hours, but before they have completed 32 semester hours. The student will have a pre-entry interview with UTHSC-SA and must have Texas residence status or receive a waiver from UTHSC-SA. Applications are available at the Biology Office. For more information, contact: Dr. Christopher Ritzi Sul Ross State University Box C-64 Alpine, TX 79832 (432) 837-8420