The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 206 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either and have demonstrated strong academic potential. The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase graduate degree awards for students from first generation low income families.
- Personalized research opportunities
- Presentation opportunities
- Sponsored trips to academic conferences, symposia, and graduate programs
- Graduate school application fee waivers
- Enhanced opportunities for graduate school admission, with funding!
Summer Research Institute
Selected students will be matched with a faculty mentor and will attend the Summer Session I Research Institute or a Summer Internship at another university where they will conduct intensive, individualized research projects tailored to their specific areas of study. Students completing all research requirements will be provided with room, meals, tuition, fees, (1) semester hour course credit, and upon completion of program tasks a $2,000 stipend.
Eligible applicants for the program must:
- First-generation, financial need.
- Be enrolled full time at SRSU~Alpine campus;
- Have a degree plan on file in appropriate dean’s office;
- Have completed 30 credit hours before May;
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0;
- Be recommended by at least two faculty members,
- Desire to go to graduate school; and
- Be independent, self-motivated, self-directed, and hard-working!
- Travel expenses for state and national conferences in your field of study
- Preparation for graduate school and increased opportunities for acceptance and funding
Contact Kathleen Rivers