The president’s home, located near the Wildenthal Library, was constructed under the supervision of Victor J. Smith, for whom Smith Hall was named.


The Bryan Wildenthal Library, named for former Sul Ross President Bryan Wildenthal, first opened in 1969.

Wildenthal served as president from 1952 until his death in 1965.

Links:
Library
Archives of the Big Bend


The Sul Ross University Center is an integral part of the university’s educational mission and serves as the community center for members of the university family, including students, faculty, administrators, ex-students, guests and visitors.

The building is a state-of-the-art structure, a 51,719-square-foot facility housing a number of important programs, services and amenities. It provides a focus for campus life and activities.

Included in the building are meeting rooms, indoor and outdoor dining facilities, faculty/staff lounge and information desk. The game room offers ping pong, pool, darts, foosball, air hockey and a variety of board games. The campus bookstore and post office are also located in the center.

The Morgan University Center is home to the offices of the Student Government Association, Campus Activities, Student Health Center, Student Life and Career Services and Testing.

Departments located in this building:
Bookstore
Campus Activities
Career Services
Dining Services
Office of Student Life
Post Office
Student Health Services
Testing Services

The cornerstone of Sul Ross, the Briscoe Administration Building, was the first academic building constructed on the Sul Ross Normal College campus.

The establishment of Sul Ross was approved by the Texas legislature in the summer of 1917, but World War I caused a delay in construction until early 1919. The Administration Building was completed in 1920 and opened its doors to students on June 14, 1920. Janie Micou Wade enrolled as the first Sul Ross student.

Today the Briscoe Administration Building is home to most central administrative offices as well as Admissions, Financial Aid, News and Publications, the Department of Public Safety and Purchasing.

Departments located in this building:
Academic & Student Affairs
Advancement & University Relations
Alumni Affairs
Bursar/Cashier’s Office
Business Administration Department
Controller’s Office
Enrollment Management
Facilities Operations
Finance & Operations
Human Resources
Institutional Research & Effectiveness
News and Publications
Office of Internal Audit
Office of the President
Purchasing
University Department of Public Safety

The Horace W. Morelock Academic Building, named for former Sul Ross President H.W. Morelock, is the home to several academic departments. Originally known as the Education/Liberal Arts Building, it was renamed in 1988.

Horace Morelock was the university’s third president, serving from 1923 to 1945.

The building is the home of the Languages and Literature Department, the Education Department, the Criminal Justice Department, the Office of the Dean of Professional Studies, and the Mary Thomas Marshall Auditorium.

Departments located in this building:

Criminal Justice Department
Education Department
GEAR UP
Languages and Literature Department
Professional Studies

The Academic Computer Resource Center building was constructed in 1926-1928 at a cost of $35,000 and called the Lobo Gym. The state provided $20,000 in construction funds, and the people of Alpine came up with the additional $15,000.

This gym was equipped for basketball, wrestling, tumbling, handball and volleyball. Later, when Graves-Pierce Gymnasium was constructed on the back side of the campus, the building became the Women’s Lobo Gym. The wings on each side were added in 1945.

The building has Roman arch windows, Stonehenge gates over the doors and Greek key decoration on the main-entrance borders. Above the main entrance is a frieze celebrating women in sports.

This building was renovated in 1990 for use as the computer center. Computer labs are located on each floor. In addition, the building contains the Computer Science and Mathematics departmental offices, tutorial areas and classrooms.

Departments located in this building:
Computer Science & Math Department
Office of Information Technology

Probably the most impressive entrance to the campus, entrance No. 2 off State Highway 90 is dominated by Lawrence Hall, named after Lawrence Sullivan Ross.

The beauty of the Sul Ross campus reaches a peak at the front entrance of this building. The centerpiece of this beauty spot is the Cactus Garden Laboratory in front, freshly planted with native desert plants.

The front sidewalk between the Cactus Garden and the building is bordered with engraved paving stones which were purchased by and bear the names of the many individuals and organizations who contributed to funding for the Museum of the Big Bend, which was located in Lawrence Hall before moving to the McCoy Building.

The retaining wall in front of the garden is accented with a carved stone sign with the university’s name, bordered on each end with carved stones bearing the university’s registered brand, the Bar-SR-Bar.

Renovated and reopened for classes in the spring semester of 1996, the building houses the Behavioral and Social Sciences Department. Renovations included a raising of the roof by a couple of feet in order to accommodate two-tiered classrooms, one at each end of the third floor.

Equipped with Campus Cable TV, which can bring in satellite broadcasts, monitors, video projectors, VCRs and laser disc players, every classroom and conference room has its own AV media equipment built in. Computer network wiring was also installed during the renovation.

Departments located in this building:
Behavioral and Social Sciences

The McCoy served as the Student Union Building and University Center until the new facility was completed. The building is now home to the Museum of the Big Bend.

Built in 1950 and renovated in 1980, the Fine Arts Building was named in 1999 in honor of longtime benefactors James W. and Margaret A. Francois.

Sul Ross art professor Miltia Hill designed the building, which houses the Studio Theatre, the university’s art gallery and the fine arts department’s offices, classrooms and studios.

Just a few of the many facilities in the building are SRTV, which provides a schedule of events as well as student-produced TV programming on the campus cable TV network; and KSRC-FM radio, which broadcasts on the SRTV channel as well as nine hours a week over Alpine’s local KALP-FM radio station.

Department located in this building:
Fine Arts and Communication

Opened in 1960, the Science Building was named the Barton H. Warnock Science Building at a homecoming ceremony in 1979.

Professor Emeritus Barton Warnock was a member of the Sul Ross faculty from 1946 to 1979. During that time he served as department chairman of the biology department and director of the science division. He helped design the building named for him.

The building is home to the university’s science programs and features labs and other facilities for chemistry, physics, geology and several branches of biology, including botany, zoology, microbiology and molecular biology.

The Warnock Building recently completed a $9 million renovation. Previous renovations were completed in 1980.

Departments located in this building:
Biology, Geology, and Physical Sciences Department

Ferguson Hall is named for Annie Kate Ferguson, a Sul Ross faculty member from 1929 to 1947. Ferguson headed the drama department and founded Sachems Literary Society and the Mask and Slipper Club.

Departments located in this building:
Academic Center for Excellence
Center for Big Bend Studies
Counseling Center
Student Support Services

Thomas J. Fletcher Hall was originally known as Morelock Hall, but was renamed in 1988 to continue the use of the name Fletcher. Thomas Fletcher was president of Sul Ross from 1917 to 1920.

Until the opening of Lobo Village, Fletcher Hall was home to 110 resident students, with men on one floor and women on the other. Sophomore and older students were housed in this building. Fletcher is still used periodically as an overflow residence hall.

Located in the northeast corner of the Sul Ross campus, the Industrial Technology Building is home to the university’s industrial tech programs. It has fully-functioning labs in a number of tech fields.

Departments located in this building:
Industrial Technology Department

Located in the northeast corner of the Sul Ross campus, the Industrial Technology Building is home to the university’s industrial tech programs. It has fully-functioning labs in a number of tech fields.

Departments located in this building:
Industrial Technology Department

Located in the northeast corner of the Sul Ross campus just below the Industrial Technology Building, the Physical Plant is the center of many of the university’s operations.

The print shop and shipping and receiving departments are located here, as are many of the Sul Ross maintenance personnel.

Departments located in this building:
Physical Plant
Print Shop

The new Lobo Village units include two three-story, 250-bed residence hall complexes, 60 new efficiency apartments and 40 apartments for married students. The housing is located between the Graves-Pierce complex and the Physical Plant facilities.

The complex includes a community center with a computer lab/study area, a multipurpose room with kitchen and office space for the complex management. The buildings have metal roofs and brick exteriors matching existing campus buildings.

The area was previously the location of Smith and Marquis halls, the Rock Cottages and the Brick Cottages. A few of the Brick Cottages have remained for historic and aesthetic purposes.

Departments located in this building:
Residential Living

The new Lobo Village units include two three-story, 250-bed residence hall complexes, 60 new efficiency apartments and 40 apartments for married students. The housing is located between the Graves-Pierce complex and the Physical Plant facilities.

The complex includes a community center with a computer lab/study area, a multipurpose room with kitchen and office space for the complex management. The buildings have metal roofs and brick exteriors matching existing campus buildings.

The area was previously the location of Smith and Marquis halls, the Rock Cottages and the Brick Cottages. A few of the Brick Cottages have remained for historic and aesthetic purposes.

Departments located in this building:
Residential Living

Directory for the Graves-Pierce Building

PHYSICAL EDUCATION Room Phone Fax Box
Brown, Shawn 102 837-8448 837-8234 C-17
Schroeder, Wayne 102 837-8209 837-8234 C-17
RECREATIONAL PROGRAMS Room Phone Fax Box
Baade, Ryan 837-8792 837-8791 C-23

The Pete P. Gallego Center, the most recent major addition to the university, greets students and visitors as they pull into entrance No. 1 in the southeast corner of the Sul Ross campus. Located on a 4.85-acre site next to the Graves-Pierce Complex, the center is home to sporting events and other major activities at the university.

The center provides seating for 3,900 persons when used for graduation, assembly and concerts, or 3,200 permanent armchair seats for competition basketball and other sports events.

In addition to a gymnasium with fixed seating, concessions and other public facilities, the center features four racquetball courts and an exercise track are all located on the mezzanine level overlooking the Graves-Pierce practice court.

Departments located in this building:
Physical Education Department

This is the tennis facility located on the SRSU campus.

The Department of Recreational Programs offers a variety of activities with an emphasis on sports and fitness.

Memberships are free to SRSU students and may be purchased for a small fee by employees, friends of the university and guests.

The facilities include an indoor pool, basketball/volleyball courts, a sauna, racquetball courts, a cardio room, a weight room, a multipurpose dance room and classrooms.

Facility hours may change several times during the year; current hours are posted online. Activity schedules are updated for the long semesters.

The amphitheater is part of an outdoor classroom and student area dedicated in the memory of Zuzu Renee Verk.

The center, named after longtime faculty member Everett E. Turner, houses the university’s animal science and natural resource management departments. Close to 15 percent of SRSU’s students are enrolled in the center’s programs.

Departments located in this building:
Agricultural & Natural Resource Sciences
Animal Science
Natural Resource Management

Before the opening of Lobo Village, the four-story, air-conditioned Mountainside Hall housed 336 students, with men occupying one wing and women the other. The offices of Residential Living were also located here.