Academic Learning Center
Certified Student Tutors work in the Academic Learning Center (ALC)
helping fellow students grasp Math, Reading, and Writing concepts.
Tutoring begins Monday September 8th.
Monday & Tuesday 3:00 to 9:00
Wednesday & Thursday 1:00 to 7:00
- When you come to the ALC bring your A#. You will use AccuTrack on the designated computer to check in and out of the Center.
- Be sure to sign the sign-in sheet so the tutors will know which student to help next.
- Always bring your assignment sheet and textbook with you to the ALC. The tutors can help you more easily if you share these items with them.
- Tutoring is offered on a walk-in basis. We do not make appointments. However, sometimes the ALC is very busy and in such situations we may have to limit your time with a tutor to 15 minutes. You are always welcome to sign back in for an additional session with a tutor.
- Feel free to sit together with other students who are in the ALC working on the same homework. If you sit at the same table, then one tutor can help all of you at the same time. In addition, you and your peers can provide help to each other.
- Fifteen minutes before the ALC closes, tutors will monitor the number of students still needing to be seen. If they are all working with students, then they will not allow any new students to sign in. The tutors need to be able to leave at closing time. Again, do not wait until the last minute to get help with your homework or to get a paper reviewed.
- The tutors are here to help you master the materials. They will help you work through the process of figuring out how to handle a problem. They may not do the work for you. You need to keep a pencil or pen in your hand so that you are the one writing on your paper.
- We want you to feel comfortable in the ALC, but we also need to keep the noise level down so everyone can concentrate.
- If you need to answer your phone please step into the hallway.
- The tutors will do their best to help you. However, they are not professors. If they are unsure of how to handle an aspect of your assignment, they will share this information with you. Should the tutors not be able to help you, please remember that your professor is another source of help.
- Tutoring is always free in the ALC!