Requirements for graduate international admission and steps to apply are outlined below. All steps must be completed by the application deadline of the semester for which you wish to enroll.

Application Deadlines

Spring Semester

October 1

Summer I/II Semester

March 1

Fall Semester

June 15

Admissions Checklist


Apply online at

U.S. Citizen students who have completed any level of education in or outside of the U.S:

  1. U.S. Freshman: U.S. Citizen students that have completed any high school/college/university work in or outside the United States.
  2. U.S. Transfers: have taken college/university work in the US or another country.
  3. U.S. Graduate: have earned the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree at another college or university in the US or another country.

Students in need to apply for an F-1 student VISA will apply as such:

  1. International Freshmen: have not completed any college or university work either in the US or another country.
  2. International Transfers: have taken college/university work in the US or another country.
  3. International Graduate: have earned the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree at another college or university in the US or another country.

Pay the $75 application fee at the end of the application for admission online with a credit or a debit card.


Send Evidence of Financial Responsibility. This may be satisfied by an Affidavit of Support (Immigration Service Form I-134) or a signed statement from a U.S. citizen or foreign national committing the necessary resources in U.S. dollars for student’s expenses, such as by providing a current balance statement from an accredited banking institution. This amount shown should cover a year of tuition and fees, plus the cost of returning home, if necessary. Tuition, fees, and living is approximately $17,500 USD per semester. For graduate students, tuition, fees, and living is approximately $16,500 USD


To submit official transcripts for translation and evaluation, please visit SpanTran: The Evaluation Company.
*SpanTran will not send requested evaluations and translations until full payment has been received and all official transcripts are issued directly from the student’s institutions.

  1. International incoming freshmen who are graduating from a high school outside the U.S. must provide an official high school transcript directly to SpanTran from their institution, preferably via email.
  2. International transfer students who attended a college/university outside the U.S. must provide an official transcript directly to SpanTran from each institution, preferably via email.
  3. International transfer students who attended a college/university in the U.S. must provide an official transcript from all previously-attended institutions to SRSU, as well as copies of all immigration documents.
  4. International graduate students must provide official evaluations of their undergraduate transcripts and official documentation of a completed Bachelor’s degree, translated in English.

Medical History Report – An official letter from a physician showing applicant’s current state of health and clearance for applicant to travel to and study within the United States.


Evidence of English language proficiency as demonstrated by any of the following:

  1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report – 69 Internet based; 190 Computer Based; 520 Paper Based.
  2.  International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP ) -Academic Score of 3.5-3.9 or greater.

English Language Proficiency Admission Requirement Waiver Qualifications:

  1. Completion of six credit hours in Freshman English with a grade of  C or better.
  2. A bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
  3. Prospective students may petition the Dean of the College in which the major resides in writing requesting an individual oral assessment of English proficiency. Applicants granted an interview will be notified of the date and time. The interview panel must deem the applicant’s oral English proficiency adequate to successfully complete the program. The interview panel will file the results of the assessment to the Center for Enrollment Services.
Additional Requirements after Admissions:

Make an appointment at a US consulate: bring your SEVIS Fee payment receipt (I-901), a copy of the I-134 Affidavit of Support Form and other required documents.


Complete an application for on-campus housing and pay the $50 nonrefundable application fee. A housing deposit of $200 in U.S. required prior to arrival in Alpine to reserve your room. You can live year round in an efficiency apartment if you are over the age of 21. Some undergraduate students are required to live in SRSU housing. Check the residency requirements on the Residential Living web site for details.


Purchase international student medical insurance. It’s required and you must show your proof of medical insurance when you come to Sul Ross. We recommend


Proof that the student, age 22 or younger, has been vaccinated for bacterial meningitis within 5 years prior to the start date of the semester is necessary before registration can occur.


If you are unable to attend for the semester you have applied for and/or been admitted to, you must notify Sul Ross of your intention to delay your start by sending an email to


Arrange for travel to Alpine, Texas. The closest airport is Midland/Odessa. From there you need to travel by car about another two hours. You can also fly into a larger city like Houston or Dallas and take the train directly into Alpine.

Contact the International Admissions Enrollment Specialist through your PURL or by telephone or email

Frequently Asked Questions

On average there are 15-25 international students attending the university. This does not include students from Mexico, which is closer to Alpine than the majority of Texas cities. Sul Ross is actively seeking more international students in residence.

International students are not eligible to receive federal or state grants through the Office of Financial Aid. International students can apply for scholarships through the University and/or their department.  Click here to Apply.

Receiving a competitive scholarship from the university in the amount of $1,000 or more entitles you to the same tuition and fees as a Texas resident. Residents pay approximately $4,000 less a semester than international students.

Award of scholarships is not guaranteed. Applicants should plan on having adequate funds available for their entire time in school.

Graduate international students may apply for teaching and research assistantships through the individual graduate programs. You will need to visit with a graduate adviser for additional information.

Citizens of Mexico may be eligible for financial aid through a program called PROGRAMA DE ASISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL (PASE) Mexican citizens are eligible for the Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil (PASE) under which they qualify for in-state tuition and fees. Only Mexican citizens are eligible for PASE. US citizens holding dual US/Mexican status are not eligible for PASE. For more information on PASE or for a PASE application form, contact the Director of Financial Aid, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas 79832.

The closest airline service is Midland International Airport (143 miles). The next airport is located in El Paso, Texas (200 miles). Alpine is served by AMTRAK railway service with arrivals and departures on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday of each week. Bus service is available from Odessa-Midland and El Paso.

There is no taxi service in Alpine, but most businesses and eating establishments are within a reasonable walking distance from the campus.

Your visa allows you to come to the United States 30 days prior to the beginning date of your enrolled term.

AT&T and Verizon service are available in Alpine.

As an International student, the F-1 visa only allows you to work at your school or school related institutions except for authorized internships.

You must complete a full academic year before you are eligible for an off-campus internship.

On campus jobs are not guaranteed but there are numerous institutional student worker positions and teaching/graduate assistant positions available.

The F-1 Visa only allows 20 working hours per week. Your supervisor will work with your class schedule.