Housing Application FAQ

Contained on this page is information that you will need to know about our housing application process as a new and continuing student.

Please be sure you have read and understood the information on this page, reviewed the What to Bring and What Not to Bring List, and checked your University email before arriving at Sul Ross.

To apply for housing, please visit the Application for Housing Page.

We are really looking forward to this year’s housing application process and we hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at or even stop by our office. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

2-years Live-on Requirement

Welcome to the Lobo Residential Community! Sul Ross State University has a 2-years live-on requirement. Undergraduate students enrolled as full-time students are required to live in campus residence halls for two full academic years (2 spring and 2 fall semesters) in order to satisfy the University’s live-on requirement. Living on-campus at another university prior to Sul Ross can be submitted for consideration towards the residency requirement. For more information, please click here.

Types of application

There are 3 types of application that a student may see.

  1. Summer 2024 – Residence Hall
    • For those taking summer classes and interested in staying on-campus. Summer housing and meal plan rates can be found here.
  2. Academic Year 2024 – 2025 – Residence Hall
    • This is the application for the upcoming academic year in Lobo Village 1 and 2.
  3. Academic Year 2024 – 2025 – Apartments
    • Only those who are eligible will see this application on the portal. This is the application for the upcoming academic year in Lobo Village 3 – 6. Application submission does NOT guarantee you will get in.
    • However, an application submission means that you will be added to the AY 2024 – 2025 apartment waitlist. The waitlist order will be determined by the application submission order.
    • Apartment eligibility: Students must be 21 years old or a junior level status at the start of the apartment contract date (August 1st).

Before Submitting an Application

Make sure you have applied to the university and activated your Lobo ID. You need to have an active Lobo ID (username and password) in order to log in and access the housing application. Click here for more instructions.

Make sure you are applying to the CORRECT term. There is a summer term and an academic year term.

After Submitting an Application

Once an application has been submitted, Residential Living staff will verify the application fee has been paid. The application fee is a one-time, non-refundable $50 fee. If the application payment has been received, the application will be approved and a pending assignment will be created.  If the application fee hasn’t been received, the application will remain in incomplete status (non-paid) until the payment is received.

Please note that the Office of Residential Living reserves the right to move people if needed, in case of emergency, to meet the university’s operations, or other circumstances. However, we will attempt to honor the room selection. The Office of Residential Living will communicate any changes before the perspective move-in date.

Student Account and Housing Assignment

Housing and meal plan charges will be posted on your student account after a housing assignment has been issued. If you enrolled in a payment plan before you received a housing assignment, note that your installment amount may increase once the housing and meal plan charges get posted afterwards.

It is important that you submit the housing application by the priority deadlines so our team can process your housing assignment in a timely manner.

Choosing a roommate through the housing portal

The “roommate group” step is not required to complete your housing application.

If you choose to request a particular roommate during the application process, you will need to complete the following steps:

  • Log into the StarRez Housing Portal on the Application page.
  • Start the application by selecting the appropriate term (either summer or academic year term).
  • Once you get to the roommate group page on the application, you can send a roommate request to people or see what request(s) you have received.
  • How to search for a roommate?
    1. If you know exactly who you want to request as a roommate, you can search them up by “details” (name or Sul Ross email).
    2. If you do not know a specific person with whom you would like to room with, you may search for people by “profile.” This will allow you to see profiles that have high compatibility/similarity to your roommate matching questionnaire.
    3. Important notes:
      1. The max roommate size is 2 people.
      2. A roommate request will expire within 3 days. You can always resend the request.
  • You can send out multiple requests, however, you can only accept 1 roommate request.
  1. If you do not see someone, it most likely means that they have not started their housing application yet.
  2. For continuing students only: It is your responsibility to select the same room as your roommate. We highly encourage you to finalize the roommate pair before selecting a room or else you could end up being separated.
  • In order for the request to be complete, the person you’ve requested must accept the invite (similar to a Facebook request).
    1. Tips: We encourage you to use the “Message” feature on the StarRez Housing Portal to communicate with your potential roommates!
  • If you do not want to browse profiles, you will be assigned randomly based on identified gender and roommate matching questionnaire responses.

If you choose a roommate for summer, make sure you repeat the same process with the academic year application because the roommate pair will not automatically roll over.  Room change process is not available for the summer term.

Overflow or Double Occupancy in Individual Bedrooms

Each residence hall unit includes two bedrooms that are single occupancy. This means that one student is assigned to each bedroom. To accommodate all of our students who wish to live in the Residence Halls, we may have to add an extra bed to the bedrooms. This double occupancy is temporary and many students only stay in the double occupancy bedroom assignments for a few days to a few weeks. On an extremely rare occasion, a student will have to remain in their double occupancy bedroom assignments for the entire semester.

We understand that the double occupancy in the bedrooms is not particularly convenient; however, we do have a compensation plan which you can read about on our website. While students are in their double occupancy bedroom assignments, they will receive a financial credit to their student account.

Lobo Pack and Efficiency Apartments

Applying for Apartments

Submitting an application for the Efficiency or Lobo Pack Apartments does not guarantee a student an apartment. To ensure that you have a spot on-campus, we encourage you to also complete another application for the residence hall.

Residential Living maintains a waiting list for all apartments based on the date the application and application fee are received. Please note that the Efficiency and Lobo Pack Apartments are always in high demand and have a high occupancy rate year-round and spaces are limited.

Qualifications to live in an apartment

Only students who meet the apartment qualifications (listed below) by August 1st of the academic year will see and can apply to the apartment application.

  • Students must be 21 years old or a junior level status at the time of occupancy.

Apartment types

  • Efficiency Apartments
    • Single-occupancy unit (one student may reside in each unit)
  • Lobo Pack Apartments
    • Lobo Pack Apartments
      • Double occupancy unit (no more than 2 students may reside in each unit)
    • Family Housing Apartments
      • Enrolled student residing with their partner and/or children (one family may reside in each unit)
      • Email the following document to the Office of Residential Living (
        • Proof of Family* – Proof of marriage and/or family status is required. A marriage license or notarized document of informal marriage are required. Birth certificates or legal guardianship paperwork, identifying the head of household as legally responsible for occupying minors is required.
      • Employee Housing
        • Active employee of Sul Ross who are looking for on-campus housing (one employee and their family, if applicable, may reside in each unit)
        • Email the following documents to the Office of Residential Living (
          • Proof of employment – A copy of your offer letter or a letter from your supervisor.
          • Proof of Family*- Proof of marriage and/or family status is required. A marriage license or notarized document of informal marriage are required. Birth certificates or legal guardianship paperwork, identifying the head of household as legally responsible for occupying minors is required.


Note: For the purpose of this agreement “a Family” is defined as: individuals who are related to the contract holder by marriage, dependency or some other form of recognized familial relationship. Familial relationship recognized under this policy includes marriage, common law marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, informal marriage, fiancée, dependent minor, parent, and sibling. Contract holders are not allowed to have friends, acquaintances or individuals who they have a casual relationship with reside in the apartment with them. The maximum occupancy for an employee unit is two (2) adults and two (2) children under the age of eighteen, for a maximum occupancy of four (4).

Apartment Wait Lists

A student’s numerical waitlist position will not be provided by the Office of Residential Living because it may not correlate to actual apartment availability and may change on a regular basis. Any student on the waitlist must also maintain their current contact information (email and phone number) with Residential Living at all times. Failure to do so may result in that student’s name being moved to the bottom of the waitlist if an apartment becomes available and we are unable to contact that student.

If offered an apartment, a student must accept or decline the opening in writing via email to within 2 business days. If there is no response from the student, the Office of Residential Living will assume the student has declined/is not interested and offer the opening to the next available student on the waitlist.

To remain on the apartment waiting list, students must be currently registered for classes. Each year, the waitlist will be discontinued at the end of July. To back on the apartment waitlist, students will have to resubmit an apartment application every Spring semester when the housing application for the next academic year opens. This way, the Office of Residential Living can keep the most up-to-date waitlist of students who are interested.