Whether you are a prospective or current student, we expect you to have many questions. We are happy to answer them all.  If we don’t know the answers, we will find someone who does. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Who do I call for after hour assistance?

We have staff on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, please call the on-call number for your area listed below if you need assistance:

All Residence Halls & Apartments

  • From 8am – 5pm Monday – Friday, please contact 432-837-8190
  • From 5pm – 8am Sunday – Saturday, please contact the RA On Call at 432-837-0464

If it is an emergency please dial 911.

Where do I park?

Please take the following routes to the these parking lots:

Lobo Village 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7

Enter through Entrance 4 (E4) on the campus map. You can park in the lot behind Lobo Village 2-7.

Lobo Village 1 and Fletcher

Please enter through Entrance 1 or 2 (E1 or E2) on the campus map. You can park in the lot south of Lobo Village 1 that is bordered by Gallego.

How do I apply for housing?

Applying for housing is easy!  Go to our Housing Application Page and follow the steps. Housing applications are considered complete once the application is submitted and payment of the $50 application fee is received.

When are housing assignments sent for Fall 2022?

Housing assignments will be sent for the Fall 2022 by the end of May. Housing assignments will be sent to your Sul Ross student email address. The following information will be sent:

  • Student’s building and room assignment
  • Roommate’s name and contact information
  • Move-in date and time
  • Information for new residents (e.g. what to bring/leave at home, etc.)
  • Residential Living contact information

What is the difference between a residence hall and a dorm?

The two are often used interchangeably but there is technically a difference.  The term ‘dorm’ means ‘a place to sleep’.  A residence hall, on the other hand, refers to a community of students living and learning together with shared experiences through social programming, education, and friendship in a home-away-from-home atmosphere.

How do you assign roommates?

We first try to honor all roommate requests made before May 1st. Please be sure you have selected your roommate and they have, in turn, selected you prior to May 1st. For students that have not selected their roommates, we base our pairing on the information you provide on the roommate matching questions in the online application. Therefore, it is important that you, as the student, complete your own application and be honest. We will be using our housing software program, which has a roommate matching algorithm with a high success rate, to pair roommates.

We are committed to connecting with each student on a personal level. Thus, when we meet you for the first time, you may be surprised at how much we already know about you. Please note:  once preferred housing (LV1 and LV2) is fully assigned, overflow assignments are made on a space available basis.

What if I don’t like my roommate?

Oftentimes, students feel making a switch is the only answer, but it is not. If you have problems with your roommate, try to talk with your roommate and work it out. You will learn a lot more about people in doing such and you may actually find that you and your roommate can become quite good friends. Your RA will assist you in strengthening your relationship. If it truly cannot work out, you must contact Residential Life and request a roommate change.

May I switch rooms during the year?

If you meet or know someone that you would like to live with during the year, contact the Residential Living Office or an RA. If there is an empty room available, there is a chance you can both move in together. Each of you may have to physically move, however. The office will not force one abandoned roommate to move in with the other so one of you can keep your room. That is unfair and will not be authorized. There will also be a $50 room change fee associated with the room switch.

Are single rooms available?

Single rooms in the residence halls are not available at this time. Consolidation of single rooms will occur during the first 2 weeks of each semester and during the year as needed. The only single rooms granted will be by pure chance if there is a lone person left after consolidation ends.

May I live off-campus as a first-year student?

Sul Ross State has a 2-year residency requirement thus most first-year students live on-campus. There are few exceptions. Learn more about the residency requirement.

What is an RA? How can I become one?

A resident assistant is a paraprofessional member of the Residential Living staff. He/She is a student leader that has been trained to help you in many different ways. Some of the RA duties include:

  • Advise and counsel fellow students
  • Refer students to appropriate departments/offices for assistance
  • Enforce University and community policies
  • Report conduct violations
  • Respond to emergencies
  • Plan and produce various educational and social programming/activities
  • Submit work requests to the Physical Plant on your behalf
  • Check students in and out of their rooms at the beginning and end of each semester
  • Conduct rounds of the buildings several times per night
  • Help you adjust to college life

If you are interested in becoming an RA, visit the office and ask for an application. You may also speak to your current RA about the job and any vacancies. RAs are compensated with a free room, discounts and a $200 monthly stipend.

Is there wireless access in the Lobo Villages?

Yes! Our internet services have all been recently upgrades to 200mb along with smart hubs to enable smart devices to be used.  Each room will support up to 6 devices.  Additional bandwidth packages can be purchased independently by the student.  Students are prohibited from using a wireless router in their rooms/apartments and students must follow all information technology guidelines of the University.  Assistance is available 24/7 through the Apogee help desk at 855-813-7027.

How do I get telephone service?

Telephone service is no longer provided in Lobo Village or Fletcher due to lack of demand. IP Phone service can be bought through the Cable and Wireless internet provider.

May I stay in the halls over Thanksgiving, Winter, or Spring Breaks?

Students who are unable to go home during the Winter Break must contact the Office of Residential Living for approval to remain in Residential Living housing.  There is a minimal fee of $100/week or $30 per day (whichever is cheapest) since institutional breaks are not included in term charges. Students may, however, leave their belongings in their rooms over the breaks.

During the Thanksgiving and Spring breaks, students will be allowed to reside in their room at no additional costs as long as approval has been granted by the Office of Residential Living.

What size are the beds?

The beds in the residence halls, efficiency apartments, and children’s room in the family apartments are X-Long twin beds (38.5″ wide x 80″ long). These beds are also 3 feet from the ground, allowing ample storage space. The master suite beds in the family apartments are queen size.

May I bring a loft?

Currently we do not allow students to build or bring loft beds into the units.

 May I nail things to the wall?

Students are not permitted to nail objects or pictures to the wall. We encourage the use of painters tape, putty, or 3M brand adhesive. There will be a fine assessed for each nail hole.

May I paint my room?

Because of the potential problems that individual painting causes, students are not permitted to paint their rooms. Painting your room will be considered a damage and you will be charged accordingly.

What do I do if something breaks or if the room needs repairs?

Please submit maintenance requests to the main housing office as soon as the problem is detected. The RA will have a work order submitted on your behalf to the Physical Plant. Your work order will then be placed in the appropriate shop’s queue. Please allow 2-3 days for your maintenance request to be completed. If the work order is not completed within 5 days of being placed, please contact the Office of Residential Living so that we can follow up about the work order.

If something in my room gets stolen, when can I expect reimbursement?

The Office of Residential Living and the University claim no responsibility for personal items that are stolen, lost, or damaged. This includes items lost due to natural disasters, fires, floods, and human destruction. We encourage all residents to purchase renter’s insurance. The best defense against stolen property is to keep your room locked at all times, even if you are right across the hall.

Are candles allowed?

Candles are prohibited items under the Fire Safety Policy. All students sign a Fire Safety Agreement at check-in. Candles, incense, and oil lamps will be confiscated and students will be charged with a fire safety violation.

Is storage offered during the summer break?

Storage is not available on campus over the summer break. Students are also not allowed to store items in the room they will occupy in the fall due to summer camps and conference groups that occupy the halls. Items left in the room after a student leaves will be disposed of and a clean up charge will be applied to the student’s account. There are several storage businesses in town that offer affordable storage for Sul Ross students.

Are pets allowed?

There is a University policy against pets that extends to all University properties including the Lobo Village complex. Fish are not included in policy and are allowed in a 10 gallon tank. If students are found to have pets in their rooms, Animal Control will be contacted and the pet will be surrendered. The student will also pay a fine and any extermination or repair charges will be the student’s responsibility as well. Please contact Residential Living if you have the need for a service or comfort animal.

Where can I have packages mailed?

All on-campus residents must have a PO box in the campus mail center. The mail center only accepts USPS packages. Students receiving FedEx, DHL, or UPS packages may have them sent to the Community Building. A sample address follows:

Your Name
c/o Residential Living
Lobo Village Drive
Alpine, TX 79830

Students will be notified if a package arrives at the office. Some packages may also be delivered to Central Receiving at the Physical Plant and the Post Office on Campus.

Is a meal plan really required?

All students living in the residence halls must have a meal plan. For more information about our Meal Plans please check here.

How do I report noisy neighbors?

If you are having problems with noise in your community, contact a resident assistant at 432-294-0464 after 5pm or 432-837-8190 between 8am – 5pm. Quiet hours are from 10pm – 10am.

Who can I talk to if I’m feeling lonely or homesick?

Homesickness and loneliness are not uncommon for college students. Your RA has been trained to help you through these times. For more serious cases, the Counseling Center employs licensed professional counselors who can help you.