About Sul Ross State University and Lobo Village

We are glad you have chosen to stay with us while you visit Alpine and our wonderful university. To help you enjoy your stay, please see below our frequently asked questions. If you have any further questions please contact our office at 432-837-8190 or

How can I host a Summer Camp at Sul Ross?  How do I make arrangements?

The Coordinator of Campus Activities can assist hosting your camp at Sul Ross and answer all of your questions.

What are the chaperone requirements for underage guests?

The Office of Residential Living has outlined the following chaperone policy in an effort to provide a safe environment for guests of the university as well current students.

  • Overnight guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by chaperones. There must be 1 chaperone for every 15 students.
  • Underage students must be escorted by their chaperone to any on-campus activity (e.g. go to the gym, tour across campus, University Center, etc.).
  • Chaperones are responsible for the behavior of their students. Guests must adhere to policies outlined in the Residential Living Handbook as well as the Sul Ross State University Handbook.
  • The chaperone(s) should be of the same sex as the students (e.g. a male chaperone for male guests, etc.). In mixed-sex groups there must be at least 1 chaperone of the same sex as the students (e.g. if there are 4 male guests and 1 female guest then there must be at least 1 male chaperone and 1 female chaperone).
  • If the students are staying in on-campus housing, the chaperones must sleep in the same building and floor as the students.
  • Alcohol is not allowed on-campus, especially in on-campus housing, during the length of the stay.
  • Sul Ross State University is a tobacco-free campus, therefore no tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, dip, snuff, lighters, matches, etc.) are allowed on-campus.
  • All state and local laws regarding curfew for underage guests apply to overnight guests.
  • All chaperones or camp employees who work with minors as part of a camp that lasts 4 days or longer must complete Sexual Abuse and Child Awareness Training as required by Texas SB 1414.  Proof of successful completion of the training must be submitted to the Residential Living office prior to the camp checking in.
  • Admissions and Recruiting will not fund overnight recruiting trips unless a supervisor signs a release stating that he or she guarantees adequate chaperonage in all areas as outlined by Residential Living.

The overnight guests chaperone policy will be filled out by the chaperone(s) at the time of check in.

What is there to do in Alpine?

There is always something to do in and around Alpine! For a brief overview please visit either the Chamber of Commerce “Visit Alpine” web site at the Alpine Visitor Center at for a list of attractions and events.

Where is Campus Housing (and other buildings) located at SRSU?

The main office is number #16 on the linked campus map. Other buildings on our Alpine campus are also on this hyperlink.

Where can I eat on campus?

Aramark provides a variety of meal plan options for Sul Ross students. Meals are served in the Morgan University Center. The regular menu features a variety of tasty, nutritious foods. The food court includes a grill, a salad and pasta bar, and quick snacks. Please see the Dining Services web site, for detailed information about eating on campus. Please note that the dining center is closed when classes are not in session.

How much does it cost to stay on campus?

Cost is $30 per person per night. Please call Residential Living in advance to confirm availability. Upon confirmation, Res Life will request your email address and send you a URL where you can pay for your stay with a credit card to officially book it.

How can I make a reservation?

If you are part of a group coming to campus, please check with the person in charge to see if they have already made reservations for you. If you are in town for a Sul Ross sanctioned event and would like to stay with us, we prefer at least 3 business days (Monday through Friday) notice so that we can verify if there is availability on campus. For those not attending a Sul Ross event, we would like to recommend some of the hotel options in town. You can find a listing of hotels, restaurants, and more at

Where do I check in?

Please check with your sponsor to see if specific arrangements have been made for you. If you are not part of a group, then please come to our main office (number #16 on the linked campus map) between 8am-5pm Monday through Friday.

If you need to check in after hours or on the weekend please make arrangements with our office in advance to arrange a date and time.  There is also an on-call number listed on the front door of the main office building if you are late or need assistance after regular business hours. Someone is always available to answer your call.

Where do I check out?

You may do one of the following to check out:

  • Come by the Residential Living Office between 8am-5pm Monday through Friday to check out and sign the final paperwork.
  • Drop the keys and necessary paperwork in the locked drop box at the front door of Residential Living.
  • Call the on-call number on the front door of the Lobo Village Main Office after 5pm and before 8am during the week (and all day on weekends and holidays) and a student staff member will be with you shortly to check you out.

How do I pay for housing?

Your group may have already paid for you so please check with your sponsor first before making payment arrangements with us. In order to reserve the space and pay in advance with a credit card, please contact Residential Living via email at The responding email will confirm availability and include the link to pay for your stay online.

What is in the room?  What does it look like?

Please see our Residence Hall page for detailed information about our buildings. To summarize every Residence Hall room has the following:

  • Mini-refrigerator and microwave in the living room
  • Twin extra-large mattress. Please note that some guests have viewed our beds as being tall.
  • Internet connection in every bedroom
  • Private bedrooms (please see our picture gallery)
  • A shared bathroom and living room area. Only 2 people share a unit.

What should I bring to campus?

  1. Towels, washcloths, hand towels
  2. Sheets (extra-long twin 80 x 38.5 inches), comforter or blanket, mattress pad, pillows.  You may also bring a sleeping bag.
  3. Computer. All buildings are equipped with Wifi.
  4. Personal items (toiletries such as soap and shampoo, clothes, etc.)

Please leave the following items at home and do not bring them to campus:

  • Cooking appliances such as hot plates, microwaves, coffee pots, hot air poppers, grills, mini refrigerators and anything with an open coil or open flame
  • Wireless routers (802.11 MAC address)
  • Extra furniture
  • Air conditioners or heaters
  • Weapons or anything resembling a weapon (including toy guns), ammunition
  • Pets
  • Alcohol or empty bottles for decoration or other alcohol paraphernalia
  • Illegal drugs
  • Candles, fireworks or any other flammable materials
  • Halogen lamps, Christmas lights, and multiple extension cords linked together.
  • Tobacco products. We are a tobacco free campus.

Is there wireless internet in Lobo Village?

Yes! Please go to our Wireless Internet FAQ page for detailed information.

How do I request a roommate?

Please email Residential Living at with your name, the group you are with (if applicable) and who you want to live with during your stay. Please notify us at least 2 business day in advance so we can process your request. We cannot guarantee roommate preference depending on the group and time frame.

Tips for moving-in

Please note that Alpine may be at a higher elevation (~4,500 feet) and the air may be thinner than you are used to experiencing. Take your time moving in and get acclimated. This humidity may also be lower than you are used to and you may become dehydrated during long walks quicker than you have experienced back home.  Drink water and be sure to take frequent breaks.

If you have any further questions please contact our office at (432) 837-8190 or