An admission applicant who does not hold United States citizenship or permanent resident status and who has not graduated from a United States high school must fulfill international student admission requirements. Admission to Sul Ross State University is for full-time, degree-seeking students only. In addition to the requirements for undergraduate or graduate student admissions, further documentation is required of international students. International applications from areas recognized for fraudulent activities are subject to review by the Department of Homeland Security. Applicants with fraudulent documents forfeit their applciation fee and are not eligible for admission to Sul Ross State University. Applicants must submit all documents at least one month prior to the anticipated date of registration.
- Spring Semester: October 1
- Summer I/II Semester: March 1
- Fall Semester: May 1
1. Apply online at www.applytexas.org as an international freshman (graduating from high school), undergraduate transfer (currently taking university courses)
or a graduate student (has earned the equivalent of a bachelor's degree at a secondary institution).
2. Pay the $75 application fee at the end of the application for admission online with a credit or debit card.
2. Send Evidence of Financial Responsibility. This may be satisfied by an Affidavit of Support (Immigration Service Form I-134) or a signed statement from a U.S. citizen or foreign national committing the necessary resources in U.S. dollars for student's expenses. This amount should cover a year of tuition and fees, plus the cost of returning home if necessary. Tuition, fees, and living is approximately $17,500 per semester. For graduate students, tuition, fees, and living is approximately $16,500.
4. Evidence of English language proficiency as demonstrated by any of the following:
1. TOEFL score of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report - 69 Internet based; 190 Computer Based; 520 Paper Based OR iTEP Academic Score between 3.5-3.9 or greater.
2. TOEFL can be waived with six hours credit in Freshman English with a C or better.
3. A bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
For Rio Grande- Sul Ross off campus requirements use this link: http://www.sulross.edu/page/1868/international-students
Additional Requirements after Admissions:
If you are unable to attend for the semester you have applied for and/or been admitted to, you must notify Sul Ross of your intention to delay your start by sending an email to email@example.com . You will also need to re-apply for admission at www.applytexas.org and pay the non-refundable application fee again.
- A housing deposit of $100 in U.S. currency if the applicant plans to live on campus. Some undergraduate students are required to live in SRSU housing. Check the residency requirements on the Residential Living web site for details. The application for admission to Sul Ross does not include an application for housing on campus.
- Health insurance and immunization records. It is recommended that health insurance is purchased from an outside company that specializes in international student insurance. Proof that the student, age 22 or younger,has been vacinated for bacterial meningitis within 5 years prior to the start date of the semester is necessary before registration can occur.
Email all required items to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to this address:
Sul Ross State University
Alpine, TX 79832
How many international students attend Sul Ross State University?
On average there are 15-25 international students attending the university. This does not include students from Mexico, which is closer to Alpine than the majority of Texas cities. Sul Ross is actively seeking more international students in residence.
Can international students receive financial aid?
Undergraduate international students are not eligible to receive financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid. Applicants should plan on having adequate funds available for their entire time in school.
Graduate international students may apply for teaching and research assistantships through the individual graduate programs. You will need to visit with a graduate adviser for additional information. Citizens of Mexico may be eligible for financial aid through a program called PROGRAMA DE ASISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL (PASE) Mexican citizens are eligible for the Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil (PASE) under which they qualify for in-state tuition and fees. Only Mexican citizens are eligible for PASE. US citizens holding dual US/Mexican status are not eligible for PASE. For more information on PASE or for a PASE application form, contact the Director of Financial Aid, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas 79832.
What kinds of transportation are available?
The closest airline service is Midland International Airport (143 miles). The next airport is located in El Paso, Texas (200 miles). Alpine is served by AMTRAK railway service with arrivals and departures on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday of each week. Bus service is available from Odessa-Midland and El Paso.
There is no taxi service in Alpine, but most businesses and eating establishments are within a reasonable walking distance from the campus.