As mandated by the Texas Legislature, students enrolling in a Texas institution of higher education after the first day of classes in the fall of 2013 must submit scores proving college readiness or take the Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA2). Students may be exempt if they can show:
- ACT: Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on the English test and/or Math sections (for a period of 5 years from date of testing).
- SAT: Test date prior to March 2016: Combined Verbal and Math score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the Verbal test and/or Math test.
- SAT: Test date on or after March 5, 2016: Minimum score of 480 on the Reading and Writing test; Minimum score of 530 on the Mathematics test. There is no combined score.
- SAT: Scores are useable for a period of 5 years from date of testing. Mixing scores from prior and post March 2016 is not allowed.
- TAKS: Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or Math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing).
- STAAR: Algebra II-Minimum score of 4000 for exemption in Math; English III-Minimum score of 4000 for an exemption in integrated Reading and Writing (for a period of 5 years from date of testing).
- Transfer coursework: Successfully completed college-level coursework as determined by SRSU.
- Military service: Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment
Please refer to: the Why Placement Testing Information page for more information or to take the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA). Students not meeting minimum TSIA requirements will be required to meet with a TSI advisor and establish an Individual Developmental Education Plan (IDEP).
Taking the TSIA2
The TSIA2 is computer administered, and test scores are available immediately following test completion. Testing is scheduled by appointment or administered shortly before orientation dates. Please call the SRSU Testing Center (837-8357 or 837-8178) to schedule a test administration.
There is a $45 test fee for initial administration for all sections, (Reading, Writing or Math) or $15 per individual assessment. The same fees apply to re-take any test. You may re-test as often as you like.
Prior to taking the TSIA2, a Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) must be completed and submitted.
The results of the TSIA2 will be used to provide evidence of college readiness or identify deficiencies in reading, writing, and/or mathematics. Students not meeting minimum TSIA2 requirements will be required to meet with a TSI advisor and establish an Individual Developmental Education Plan (IDEP).
Call (432) 837-8357 or (432) 837-8178 for more information or to register for TSIA.
If you live outside the Tri-County area and plan to attend Sul Ross State University, then Testing Services can help you arrange to take the TSIA2 at a local college or university near you to save travel time and costs. Please follow these steps:
- Call Sul Ross Testing Center, (432) 837-8357 or (432) 837-8178 to register for testing at a Testing Center near you. Upon registration you will receive a voucher number through an email to present at the remote Testing Center near you.
- The remote testing fee is $40, plus any proctoring fees charged by the testing institution administering your test.
- Complete and submit the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) form, allowing Sul Ross permission to view your report scores.
- Once you have tested at the remote site, a confirmation email with your score report, will be sent to Sul Ross Testing Center. You will receive a hard copy report upon completion of the test, for your records.
- You are responsible for bringing your TSIA2 report scores to Sul Ross University registration for advising.
Link to Study Guides – Mometrix Test Preparation
How to Print Your TSIA2 Scores
- Go to https://www.accuplacer.org/
- Click on “Information for Students” under “Student Portal”. This will open a new tab taking you into the Accuplacer student portal page.
- On your left hand side, click on “Your Accuplacer Score Report”
- Fill in all the required information and hit the search button.
- You now have access to print out your scores.
Permission to Release TSIA2 Score
To have your TSIA2 scores released, please download and complete the form linked below. The form can be hand delivered to the Testing Services Office or faxed to 432-837-8724.