What is the Talent Search Program?
The Talent Search Program of Sul Ross State University offers free college, career, financial aid information and SAT and ACT Prep to over 503 middle school and high school students each year. Talent Search identifies and selects students who demonstrate the potential for postsecondary enrollment and provides them with the motivation and support to enroll in a program of postsecondary education after high school graduation.
How does Talent Search Work?
Talent Search Program encourages and prepares students for postsecondary enrollment by providing qualified participants in grades 6-12 with the following services and activities through group workshops and individual appointments held at designated target schools:
- Academic Advisement
- College Awareness
- Career Exploration
- Financial Aid Awareness
- Financial Literacy
- Scholarship Information
- College & Career Field Trips
- SAT & ACT Prep Activities
- Individual Assistance with College Admissions, Scholarship Applications & Financial Aid Forms
Who can join Talent Search?
In order to be eligible for selection as Talent Search participants, students must meet the following criterion:
- Be a U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien;
- Be at least 11 years of age and in grades 6-12;
- Qualify as Low Income and/or Potential First Generation College Graduate (neither parent has received a 4-year degree);
- Commit to remain in the TS Project until HS graduation;
- Demonstrate Potential for Postsecondary Enrollment as defined by:
- Expressing a desire to go to college;
- Maintaining a GPA of 2.75 or higher;
- Exhibiting good citizenship and leadership skills.
To become a Talent Search Member BOTH a Student Application and a Parent Application are REQUIRED by law.
Please contact the TS Coordinator assigned to your school (or the Director) to refer a student or for more information:
Funded 100% by the U.S. Department of Education at $226,600 annually.
For more information about the Federal regulations for Student Support Services, please click here.