Residency Requirement

Sul Ross State University is committed to assisting each student in his/her personal development and academic success while they are participants in our programs and services. Part of that commitment is rooted in the belief that students can maximize their learning experiences by living on campus in a residence hall.

Studies have shown that students who live on campus are more likely to be satisfied with their collegiate experience, will be more involved in campus life, will achieve higher academic standards, will have a more positive self-image, and are more likely to complete their degree than students who do not live on campus. Living on campus does not guarantee a successful college experience, but the advantages to living on campus are significant. The residential living and meal plan policy requirements are maintained in support of this belief.

2-Year Requirement (4 long semesters on-campus)

All undergraduate students attending Sul Ross State University must be 21 years of age or have completed two full academic years (four fall/spring semesters) by the first class day of a semester or summer session in order to have satisfied the University's residential living policy. Any student, enrolled for 9 or more credit hours in a long semester (fall or spring) or 5 or more credit hours in a summer semester must reside in the residence halls until they have turned 21.

Exceptions to this policy may be made for students whom:

  1. live at the established residence of a parent, grandparent or legal guardian within a 100 mile radius of the Sul Ross campus. Documentation must be presented regarding legal guardianship;
  2. are married. A marriage license or similar document must be presented to the Office of Residential Living;
  3. are single parent(s) with dependent(s) living with them full time during the academic year;
  4. are veterans and have spent at least twelve months on active duty; or
  5. are at least 21 years of age before the first class day of the academic year.

Exemptions to this policy must be submitted in writing along with all supporting documentation to the Director of Residential Living by the first class day in any semester or summer term for which the exemption is sought. The University reserves the right to terminate any off-campus permission. Failure to comply with residential living requirements may result in disciplinary action which may include forfeiture of deposits, complete charge for room and meal plan, and/or the cancellation of registration for the student.

Additional reasons for a possible exemption to the University's Residential Living Policy Include:

  1. Medical Exemption. Students who have a documented medical condition which requires special environmental needs which the University cannot meet may be exempted from the residential living requirement. "Documented medical condition" means the Authorization for Release of Medical Information form must be completed so that the Office of Residential Living can obtain any needed medical condition information. The University must have the option to develop an alternative living arrangement before such an exemption is granted.
  2. Employment Conditions. Students whose employer requires on-site living may be exempted from the residential living requirement. Documentation from the employer must be included and verified monthly.


Appeal/Exemption Procedures

To request permission to live off campus prior to satisfying the off-campus requirements, a student must submit a request in writing and provide all supporting documentation to the Director of Residential Living. A Residential Living Appeal form is available in the Office of Residential Living in the Lobo Village Community Center or by clicking here. Off-campus arrangements must not be made prior to receiving written notification from Residential Living that the appeal has been approved. The student filing the request may schedule an appointment prior to the final decision to discuss his/her circumstances with the Director of Residential Living. The decision will be communicated via email to the student.

Any student who submits a request for an exemption from the residential living policy shall comply with the established policies for residential living until such time as the exemption may be granted. Any exemption granted will be for no longer than one semester or summer. Since individual circumstances change, the student must reapply for the exemption each semester until the residential living requirement is met. If the circumstances which merited the exemption change during the semester of the exemption, the student must immediately notify the Office of Residential Living and arrange to move back into a residence hall on campus.

If the Director of Residential Living denies the request for an exemption, the student may appeal to the Dean of Student Life. Appeals must be filed in writing within five class days of the date of the decision by the Director of Residential Living.